cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor II

Can I use VoiceThread in Canvas as a Free-for-Teacher account user?

Jump to solution

I am a Canvas Free-for-Teacher account user. I have a paid VoiceThread account and want to use VoiceThread in Canvas. After some exploration, it seems to me that a free Canvas account user cannot use VoiceThread in Canvas. I am not a techie and this is the first time I try my hands on an LMS. I read Canvas Account Comparisons. In the  Canvas-Enabled External Tool (LTIs) row, it shows that only Roll Call Attendance is available for free account users. But in the Third Party External Apps Management (LTIs), it shows "course level" in the free for teacher column. I do not know what that means. 

My question is "Is there any way that I can use VoiceThread in Canvas"? If it cannot be used by a Free-for-Teacher account user in any way, how much do I need to pay to have a paid Canvas account? I am not an institutional user. I use Canvas for my online learning research project and will probably have at most 50 students. 

Thanks. 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Stefanie,

Thank you. 

I learned that Free-for-Teacher account users can use VoiceThread in Canvas.

I am not an institution user of VoiceThread. My VoiceThread account is a single instructor account. Therefore, I cannot integrate VoiceThread in Canvas. Instead, I can link or embed it in my course. The downside is that students need a separate VoiceThread username and password in order to participate. 

Hope this information can be of help to others. 

Cheers,

Liuchun 

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Surveyor II

Sorry for the typo error. It should be VoiceThread. 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

Hello,  @664755030  Welcome to the Canvas Community! I've shared your question with the Free-For-Teachers‌ group to see if its members have experience with integrating a paid VoiceThread account into a free Canvas course. You won't need to join the group to see their responses as they appear here, but if you'd like to join the group you can easily do so by navigating to the group home page and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown at the upper right.

Turning to this question:

If it cannot be used by a Free-for-Teacher account user in any way, how much do I need to pay to have a paid Canvas account? 

Canvas does not provide individual licenses. Schools wishing to explore pricing options can request a demo: Try Canvas.

Hi Stefanie,

Thank you. 

I learned that Free-for-Teacher account users can use VoiceThread in Canvas.

I am not an institution user of VoiceThread. My VoiceThread account is a single instructor account. Therefore, I cannot integrate VoiceThread in Canvas. Instead, I can link or embed it in my course. The downside is that students need a separate VoiceThread username and password in order to participate. 

Hope this information can be of help to others. 

Cheers,

Liuchun 

View solution in original post

kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @664755030  

I took the liberty of editing your original question to read, "Voice Thread" so that hopefully you can get more help.

Kelley

Hi Kelley,

Thank you very much for your help. 

Cheers,

Liuchun 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@664755030 ‌, I got to thinking a bit about this part of your question: 

But in the Third Party External Apps Management (LTIs), it shows "course level" in the free for teacher column. I do not know what that means. 

Teachers using Free For Teachers accounts should be able to add an external app at the course level through the Settings | Apps tab in the course. I searched through the available apps and found VoiceThread. Since you already have a paid account with VoiceThread, you should be able to obtain the consumer key and shared secret through your VoiceThread representative.

This lesson provides instructions: How do I use the Canvas App Center in a course? 

Please let us know how this works out!

Thanks, Stefanie.  Yes, I asked the VoiceThread Support team. Unfortunately consumer keys and shared secret are for higher level account users, not single instructors. But I can still link or embed VoiceThread in my course. It will be a bit complicated because students need separate user names and password to participate. 

Happy days!