cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nansula49
Not applicable

Can Students View Assignments After Assigned Until Date?

Jump to solution

Hello.

I'd like my students to be able to view--but not submit--assignments after the Assign Until Date for study purposes. Is that possible?

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Not applicable

Hi  @nansula49  Welcome to the Canvas Community. You ask a good question because, admittedly, the online lesson https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10327-415273044 does not explicitly state this in so many words.  But indeed, the Until only restricts when students can SUBMIT the assignment, and that's it.

I just tested this in a sample class with sample student accounts; one who never submitted an online assignment as well as one who did.  I also had both sample students check the same assignment after the UNTIL date.  Indeed, the only thing either one could not do was submit the assignment.  Otherwise, clicking on the assignment itself will:

-Show the instructions, including any links to files that are linked in the instructions, which remain active AND

-Shows the rubric

-In the case of the student who submitted it, shows a link to their submission

I hope this helps, Nancy!

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kblack
Not applicable

Hi  @nansula49  Welcome to the Canvas Community. You ask a good question because, admittedly, the online lesson https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10327-415273044 does not explicitly state this in so many words.  But indeed, the Until only restricts when students can SUBMIT the assignment, and that's it.

I just tested this in a sample class with sample student accounts; one who never submitted an online assignment as well as one who did.  I also had both sample students check the same assignment after the UNTIL date.  Indeed, the only thing either one could not do was submit the assignment.  Otherwise, clicking on the assignment itself will:

-Show the instructions, including any links to files that are linked in the instructions, which remain active AND

-Shows the rubric

-In the case of the student who submitted it, shows a link to their submission

I hope this helps, Nancy!

View solution in original post

brian_stephani1
Not applicable

I have a follow up question. What about QUIZZES? If a students has not yet submitted a quiz assignment, and the Available Until date has already expired, will the student be able to view the quiz questions themselves? Or are they locked out completely from seeing the questions if the Available Until date has expired.

I would test this in my Sandbox or course, but I'm in between quarters and Canvas won't let me assign an Until date that is before the start of term.