cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
estrella_romero
Community Member

Can Students View Rubric in Discussion Board?

Jump to solution

I would like to allow my students to be able to view my grading rubric in a Discussion Board.

When I created a Discussion Board, I clicked on the "cog">ädd rubric" at the top right corner so I know it's there. However, when I go into student view of the Discussion Board, the rubric is hidden and the student must go to the "cog" to view the rubric (but it's not very clear that they have to go there to view it in the first place). Is there another way that they can see the rubric before they submit their Discussion Board post without me having to provide instructions to do this?

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@estrella_romero  , unfortunately  no. 😞

What I've done in my own course is take a screen shot of the rubric (I use the same one for all my discussions) and add it to my syllabus, welcome to the course information, and as part of my discussion requirements/directions.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@estrella_romero  , unfortunately  no. 😞

What I've done in my own course is take a screen shot of the rubric (I use the same one for all my discussions) and add it to my syllabus, welcome to the course information, and as part of my discussion requirements/directions.

View solution in original post

Thank you! This helps!

Star

downingm
Surveyor

I just experienced this same frustration (realizing the difficulty for students to see the rubric prior to grading). In practice in my own "student view", it appears that if students navigate to GRADES, then click to open the DB assignment, they can then click SHOW RUBRIC in the upper right-hand corner of the page (this works both before and after grading).

klwhiteside
Surveyor II

I've decided to take a screenshot of the rubric, upload it as a file, and then add a link to the file in the Discussion text box. That might be kind of a work around, but I really want the rubric to be accessible within the discussion itself. 

d00386959
Community Member

Yes, it is possible!! I've had this same problem and my first solution was to use the screenshot as has been suggested here. I didn't like the looks of it, so instead I created a table that has the same info as the attached, hidden rubric. Similar to issues with the screenshot method, the table was static and did not update when you changed something on the official rubric. But I recently discovered an awesome trick to add a link/button that students can click on directly in your page that opens the dialog box with the rubric in it! This means that you can easily place a dynamic link that displays the current, up-to-date rubric anywhere on your discussion page. If you don't mind a little coding, you can try it yourself and see if it works for you.

Instructions (text)
1. After adding a rubric, go to the three dot menu of the discussion and hover over the "show rubric" option.
2. Right click and use the inspector.
3. Find the highlighted element (it is an <a> tag) and right click it.
4. Select Copy >> Copy Element.
5. Now, go into the edit mode of the discussion.
6. Enter the HTML editor and locate where you'd like to place this link.
7. Paste the link.
8. OPTIONAL: Edit the link text (it will say "show rubric" and have the little rubric icon by default - the text can be changed to say whatever you want - the rubric icon can be removed if you want by deleting the <i> element within the link)
9. OPTIONAL: You can also style the link into a button if you go back into the HTML editor and add "btn" to the class list of the element.
10. Save the discussion and check it out!

Screen share (video)

This video is currently being processed. Please try again in a few minutes.
(view in My Videos)

This is fantastic workaround which provides the functionality that we very much need.  In the past we have provided links to PDF versions of the rubrics and predictably, there are cases where updates were missed and students were shown an outdated rubric.  Thank you, Ethan!

Hi!
I'm having a little trouble figuring out this work around to the rubrics in the discussion boards. I followed the steps and found the inspect and copied the <a> code, but it's only the edit code, it doesn't show the rubric. The video associated with this post isn't working. Does anyone have a video that could help with this, or additional instructions?

Thank you!
Debbi