cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Can a User Close/Exit the Inline Chat?

Jump to solution

This week I have received two separate student questions about the irritation of the minimized inline chat. Both were trying to print a page and did not like having the minimized chat box outline in the lower right corner which sometimes covered page content.

Is there is a way to exit that tool altogether? Both students clicked on the chat feature out of curiosity, and neither wanted to continue using it after they clicked on it. As an admin (and testing it myself), the only way I could get the inline chat box to go away was by I hiding "Chat" in the navigation settings. The How do I use inline chat as a student? guide does not indicate a way to close the chat box altogether.

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Canvas Support confirmed that my understanding is accurate--that the chat will remain minimized in the corner and the only way to remove it is to have the instructor or admin hide "Chat" from the course navigation.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

shanaegalloway@nnu.edu, this is an interesting issue and when I went to test it I was not able to recreate it. Were you and your students on computers when this happened? What browser were you using? Could you possible take a screen shot showing where it wouldn't go away? My experience was that as soon as I clicked on something else in the course the Chat window went away and was gone. 

Highlighted

kona@richland.edu, they were both on desktop computers. I did not see their screens, but I was able to recreate the issue from my teacher perspective in Chrome (see screenshots below). Also, I can't recreate it from "student view" or while acting as a user, but I can't tell if that's because the pink bar covers the area the inline chat would appear or not.

Chrome:

Inline chat box on content page in Chrome

Firefox:

Inline chat box on content page in Firefox

Highlighted

shanaegalloway@nnu.edu, I apologize! I'm not sure how I missed that the inline chat is different from regular chat. We have regular chat, but not inline, which is exactly why I'm not able to recreate the issue! If you're experiencing this issue you might consider contacting Canvas support to see if they can help. To do this click on the Help link in Canvas and Report a Problem.

Sorry for the confusion!!

Kona

Highlighted

kona@richland.edu, thanks! Chat is a newer feature for our institution, so I'm not as familiar with the ins and outs as I am with some of the other Canvas features. I'll check with Canvas Support for more details.

Highlighted

Canvas Support confirmed that my understanding is accurate--that the chat will remain minimized in the corner and the only way to remove it is to have the instructor or admin hide "Chat" from the course navigation.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

shanaegalloway@nnu.edu, thanks for coming back and letting us know what you found out! I'll also make a note to not enable this feature! It might work for some schools, but it sounds like the not being able to fully minimize it would cause more problems than it's worth for us.

Kona

Highlighted

kona@richland.edu, we received another ticket about the chat box over the weekend. The student was trying to print his grades from the class, and this is what he sees--the minimized chat box opens and covers the text. Smiley Sad It seems to be even more problematic than I first thought.

when trying to print the screen, the minimized chat box opens and covers the text

Highlighted

That’s definitely not good. 😞