Can a peer review use a different rubric than the instructor review for the same assignment?

Jump to solution
nchivers
Community Explorer

Is there any way to have peer reviews for an assignment, have those peer reviewers use a rubric to review the assignment, but use a different rubric than the instructor?

The rationale is that the peers have a different perspective and would look for different things than the instructor. I would not expect other students to look for the same qualities with the same lens as me, but their viewpoint and experience is valuable for feedback. I want to guide the students to embrace their lens and analyze the submission from the perspective of a peer audience. It would seem like the simplest way to do that in Canvas would be with a rubric that is slightly different than my own.

Last quarter i tried giving every student a fillable word/pdf document that they could then upload in the comments section of the peer's assignment, but that seemed to be technologically tricky for quite a lot of students.

Anybody have any ideas on how to do this? Thanks ya'll!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
KristinL
Community Team
Community Team

Hi @nchivers -

I like this idea a lot, and your use-case makes sense to me. Unfortunately, there's not a way to attach a separate rubric for peer reviews. One workaround could be that you create an assignment exclusively for peer reviews. You could create the unique rubric there while you use yours. However, that is an extra submission for the student, but it may be worthwhile for your class experience, especially since they're turning in the same file twice, and not creating two separate submissions. I think with some explanation and guidance students would be successful.

I like the suggestion to attach an annotated pdf to a comment, but I can see where that'd be tricky for students.

View solution in original post