cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Can a student create a new thread in a discussion post?

Jump to solution

In Blackboard it was possible to create threads within each discussion. How do you do that on Canvas?

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Karen -

Within Canvas, discussions run with a single topic. Each post contributes and based on the discussion's settings, those replies can be threaded. How do I create a discussion as an instructor?

It is possible to adjust the course settings so students can create their own discussion topics. While it's not exactly the same as a "sub-topic" within a discussion, it provides students with some control. This can be done within groups (within the course) too. How do I set details for a course? OR How do I allow students to create a course discussion? 

I hope this is helpful! If you have any other questions, please reply. The Canvas Community will do its best to help and connect you with resources!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Karen -

Within Canvas, discussions run with a single topic. Each post contributes and based on the discussion's settings, those replies can be threaded. How do I create a discussion as an instructor?

It is possible to adjust the course settings so students can create their own discussion topics. While it's not exactly the same as a "sub-topic" within a discussion, it provides students with some control. This can be done within groups (within the course) too. How do I set details for a course? OR How do I allow students to create a course discussion? 

I hope this is helpful! If you have any other questions, please reply. The Canvas Community will do its best to help and connect you with resources!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Labels