cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
curtain
Learner II

Can a student submit a URL and a file in the same submission?

Jump to solution

My testing also shows that although a student can add a text doc AND a File Upload AND a video AND a URL in the same attempt, Canvas only submits the item on the tab they click Submit on. 

So if, for example, an instructor wanted a video or URL to a video AND a text or doc that provides justification for why that video was selected, the instructor would be able to check both boxes in Assignment setup and it would appear that would work.  And the students would be able to add both the video and the text but only one would be submitted and they would have to re-submit a second attempt to get the explanation file up there.   So now students have one submission to make but must submit twice to accomplish this and it is shown to instructors as 2 attempts.

I cannot send them all at once, I have to send each tab separately.

Am I missing something here?  Can a student submit more than 1 object to an assignment at a time or am I understanding the limitation correctly?  

Thanks for any insight anyone could add.

3 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Scott...

According to this Feature Idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1110-allow-multiple-submission-types-on-the-same-assignment" m..., your assessment about only being able to submit one type of an assignment appears to be correct.  You'll see that this Feature Idea is currently on Instructure's "Product Radar" stage...which means they are aware of the need, but they may not be able to develop something in the very near term.  I would encourage you to vote for this and maybe even add a comment to that Feature Idea indicating why it would be important to you and your faculty.  I hope this helps, Scott.

View solution in original post

Hello,

Student here....I am having a challenge of uploading more than one submission for one assignment. I came across this post and see that it is not possible, however, this post is from last year, has there been any updates to make it possible to upload more than one file for the same submission (Assignment)? I want to upload an image, add a text entry, and add a website URL. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Sherry

0 Kudos

Hello  @sacollins1 ...

I do not work for Instructure (the folks that make Canvas), so I cannot speak for them as to what their plans may be or what their roadmap looks like for the immediate future or further down the road.  The best advice I can tell you is to continue to follow that Feature Idea (above) which I linked to back in April 2018.  Also, if you have not done so, I would encourage you to vote on that idea.  You may also want to leave a comment at the bottom of that Feature Idea as well to let Instruture know why this kind of functionality would be important to you within Canvas.  Instructure employees to read our comments, and they want to know real-world examples.  I hope this will help, Sherry.

8 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Scott...

According to this Feature Idea, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1110-allow-multiple-submission-types-on-the-same-assignment" m..., your assessment about only being able to submit one type of an assignment appears to be correct.  You'll see that this Feature Idea is currently on Instructure's "Product Radar" stage...which means they are aware of the need, but they may not be able to develop something in the very near term.  I would encourage you to vote for this and maybe even add a comment to that Feature Idea indicating why it would be important to you and your faculty.  I hope this helps, Scott.

Thanks a lot.  I did not find that one in my search

Hello,

Student here....I am having a challenge of uploading more than one submission for one assignment. I came across this post and see that it is not possible, however, this post is from last year, has there been any updates to make it possible to upload more than one file for the same submission (Assignment)? I want to upload an image, add a text entry, and add a website URL. Is this possible?

Thanks in advance!

Sherry

0 Kudos

Hello  @sacollins1 ...

I do not work for Instructure (the folks that make Canvas), so I cannot speak for them as to what their plans may be or what their roadmap looks like for the immediate future or further down the road.  The best advice I can tell you is to continue to follow that Feature Idea (above) which I linked to back in April 2018.  Also, if you have not done so, I would encourage you to vote on that idea.  You may also want to leave a comment at the bottom of that Feature Idea as well to let Instruture know why this kind of functionality would be important to you within Canvas.  Instructure employees to read our comments, and they want to know real-world examples.  I hope this will help, Sherry.

Am hoping that after a 4 1/2 year wait  the "very near term" is now! :O( 

sacollins1
Community Member

Thank you for the quick reply (& on a Saturday!). Smiley Happy I found the answer. Each different type of submission for one assignment has to be done separately and unfortunately Canvas only shows the most recent submission and not all submissions made.

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-9539-421241972 

@sacollins1 ...

Ah...not a problem replying on a Saturday evening...it's common for me to do that, to be honest.

Oh yes...it is true that you can make multiple submissions one right after the other...just not all part of the same submission.  So, the Guide you found is a great resource.  And, just so you know...students are only able to see their most recent submission to a given assignment.  Instructors, on the other hand, are able to see all of your submissions...as they are time and date stamped.  Here's a Guide for instructors that explains this in more detail: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-13088-415255024 (check out the section about half-way down called "Evaluate Multiple Submissions").

I hope this helps, Sherry.

Mr-Robertson
Surveyor

I think that as of Dec 2020 the answer is still "no" but a work around that I'm using is to have the student submit the file, and add the URL in a comment. When reviewing, instructors will need to "highlight, copy, and paste" the link, rather than click on it, but it works.

Take care,

Jason