cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nathan_lawson
Surveyor

Can a student work past the end of a term?

Scenario:  I'm a homebound teacher.  I have some students that do not complete all assignments on time in a semester.  I give them incompletes and a month (sometimes more) to finish out the course. Can we just extend our terms past the actual semster date to allow this?  What would happen if we changed to term in the course from Fall to Spring? Would it lock them out if it wasn't a duplicated course?  

3 Replies
vanzandt
Adventurer II

Unless your institution has disabled these options...

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @nathan_lawson ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on January 23, 2018.  It looks like vanzandt provided some resources for you later that day.  Have you had an opportunity to review the feedback that you received from Todd?  If so, did his feedback help to answer your question?  Do you have any outstanding questions as it relates to your initial question?  If you feel that Todd has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some assistance from members of the Community, please come back to this thread to post a message below so that someone might be able to assist you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Nathan.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

connor_ofarrell
Community Member

I'd like to reopen this topic. We are a small graduate school, and our faculty typically offer students a little flexibility on end of semester due dates. However, because our Canvas instance is linked to our SIS (Populi), we do not allow faculty to manually change the course start/end date, so the response previously provided as a work-around to this issue won't work for us. Also, creating new course sections isn't viable, as different students are given different extensions for different assignments and setting up a different section for each one would be very messy.

Ideally, there would be a way to mark an extension within an individual assignment for an individual student in Canvas. This way, even after the course ends, the student could interact with that one specific assignment to upload their submission, and faculty could enter the grade accordingly within the Canvas gradebook. 

Has anyone else found a solution to this? Our faculty are not happy with the prospect of receiving all late assignments directly to their email inbox after the published course end date, plus it opens the door for more human error in the grading process! :smileyconfused: