cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fcurry1
Surveyor

Can a weighted grade book also show points?

Jump to solution

I am using a weighted grade book.  I would also like to have a column that shows the students total points.  I set up the course so that there are 1,000 points possible, but I use the weighted grade book so that I can get the system to throw out the lowest score from one group of assignments.  I like having the points because it gives the students (and me) a very easy way to spot check the grade.  It also allows them to see exactly how many points they need to get the next higher letter grade.

Fred

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fcurry1 ​, you don't have to weight your gradebook to drop the lowest score from one assignment group. You can have assignment groups, but not weight them, just do a regular points based gradebook. You will still have the option to drop the lowest or highest scores; I just tested this in my own gradebook just to confirm.

As for your other question, per this guide - How do I view my students' total grades as a point value instead of a percentage in the Gradebook? - you can't switch students total percent grade to points when using a weighted assignment groups.

Given this information and what you are trying to do, my recommendation would be to not use weighted assignment groups so that way you could see the total number of points the student are getting out of 1000.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@fcurry1 ​, you don't have to weight your gradebook to drop the lowest score from one assignment group. You can have assignment groups, but not weight them, just do a regular points based gradebook. You will still have the option to drop the lowest or highest scores; I just tested this in my own gradebook just to confirm.

As for your other question, per this guide - How do I view my students' total grades as a point value instead of a percentage in the Gradebook? - you can't switch students total percent grade to points when using a weighted assignment groups.

Given this information and what you are trying to do, my recommendation would be to not use weighted assignment groups so that way you could see the total number of points the student are getting out of 1000.

View solution in original post

Thank you for the help.

Can I change this in the middle of the semester without messing up the recorded scores?  We are at the end of the semester now, and I do not want to end up corrupting all of the scores.

Thanks,

Fred

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

The best way to check this is to go to your Canvas Test Environment - How do I access the Canvas test environment?​ - and try flipping your gradebook to points and then compare the grades with your production (normal course) gradebook. Nothing you do in the test environment will change/impact anything in your real live course, so feel free to play to your hearts content!

I like this, and if I would have checked for responses after I started typing, I probably would have seen it.

I will add the warning that's on the page you refer to -- doing it this way changes the display to points for the students as well.

That means that when they look at their grades, they'll see something like this:

184801_pastedImage_0.png

And will have to do the division to figure out what percentage they're currently getting in the course, but at least the points they have earned so far will be visible as the numerator of that fraction (212.2 in the example).

If you don't switch to points, then the student would see

184856_pastedImage_1.png

I'd recommend going with what Kona wrote -- an unweighted gradebook that has assignment groups. Weighted gradebooks and points don't play nicely together.

For the display of the points, it depends which is more important to you and the students. If you want to force the students to see points and not percentages and have to do calculations to figure out their current grade in the course, then change the total in your gradebook to points. This always gives them a "here's what you would get if you didn't do anything else for the rest of the term" grade. If you would like to see percentages that represent where they currently are based on graded assignments, but provide the opportunity occasionally see points, then follow the method I described.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

points.pngSide note, if you flip your gradebook to points, but leave the final grade showing up as percent, you (as an Instructor) can still mouse over the total percentage for each student to see the total number of points the student has earned out of the total number of points possible. See screen shot to the left -->

James
Navigator

No, you can't have points show when using a weighted grade book. However, there are relatively painless (one or two clicks) steps that can give you and the student that information. This assumes the setup you've described where you've chosen your weights for the assignment groups to match the available points in each category. It essentially boils down looking at all of the assignments and not just the graded ones.

Teacher

From the gradebook, click on the admin cog and choose "Treat Ungraded as 0". Then the grades in the gradebook will still be a percent, but move the decimal and you have the number of points. A 49.6% means 496 points.

Student

The student needs to uncheck the box on the grades page to "Calculate based only on graded assignments". Then the total will be the same percentage that you'll see when you treat ungraded values as 0. They will then need to move the decimal one place to convert the percentage into a point value.

Students can get easily confused by this. Be sure you do a good job communicating the difference between the two results. The first is your score based on what has been graded so far. The second is the total points you've earned so far in the class.

By the way, you don't have to have 1000 points, You could make the course worth 100 points so that the percentages match the actual points without having to move a decimal. I'm not necessarily advocating that because there may be a mental impact to "This is a 500 point assignment" verses "This is a 50 point assignment" even though they have the same meaning in their respective contexts.