cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jhoyer
Community Member

Can an instructor change a student's password?

Jump to solution

Can a Canvas instructor change a student's password in the canvas software?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
nr2522
Community Member

Hello,  @jhoyer ‌.

It appears that your school uses Single Sign-On for Canvas. I recommend that you direct the student to Username & Password Help.

Best,

Nelson

View solution in original post

5 Replies
nr2522
Community Member

Hello,  @jhoyer ‌.

It appears that your school uses Single Sign-On for Canvas. I recommend that you direct the student to Username & Password Help.

Best,

Nelson

View solution in original post

nr2522
Community Member

In case the student is Continuing Education, they may need to use the "Forgot Password?" link at JCCC Continuing Education. I'm not clear whether CE has a separate Canvas instance or different credentials. 

jhoyer
Community Member

Thank you Nelson,

I was really just trying to determine if it is technically possible to have instructor's change a student's password. I have read several other posts and it appears that unless we want to assign out instructors to the "admin" role in Canvas, they will not be able to assist students by resetting passwords.

I do appreciate your response, thanks again. 

nr2522
Community Member

Hi,  @jhoyer ‌.

Even with Canvas admin permissions, if the student logs in via a single sign-on system (SSO) that resides outside Canvas, the Canvas admin permissions will not help. Resetting passwords within Canvas only works for account that are not associated with SSO. At my school, we call these "local" (as in exists in Canvas only, not other university systems) or "external"/"guest" (as in outside people that we give Canvas access to) accounts.

Best,

Nelson

jhoyer
Community Member

Hello Nelson,

Sorry, I forgot to mention that at my institution, Continuing Education is in a separate instance of Canvas that is not connected to our SSO.

Jeff