cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Can an instructor turn off student notifications for a course?

Is it possible to turn off notifications for my students in my course settings?  I know the students can turn off their own notification settings in their individual accounts, but I want to set the course itself to not send out notifications. 

33 Replies

John,

It's in the Gradebook section of the course. In your course, click on "Grades" in the vertical navigation menu to the left. Then go to the particular assignment that you want to mute and click on the little arrow that appears when you hover your mouse over it. One of the options that appears is to mute the assignment.

I tried this, and it's true the changes to an assignment aren't sent out as notifications while the assignment is muted. But then when it is unmuted, TWO go out, one that says it's unmuted and one for the change that was made.

We have a staff member on campus who uses a Canvas site to manage lab trainings. His course has hundreds of appointment slots that are constantly being scheduled, and he reached out to us about how to avoid flooding his students with email notifications. I had the same idea as kona@richland.edu here about using the end date to close the course and temporarily disable notifications. Unfortunately, when I tested it, I learned that Canvas will still send notifications if a course end date has passed and "Restrict students from viewing this course after end date" is checked.

(If you check "Students can only participate in the course between these dates" the instructor loses the ability to create new appointment groups.)

Surveyor

I just posted a request for a feature to turn off notifications of changes for individual assignments in the Studio. Go vote it up, please!: "Option to block notification of a change to an assignment"

how does one vote this up?  I'm teaching a course for the first time and making lots of little changes.  It feels like students are watching me change my underwear!  I don't need them to know about every little alteration to my course. Also, does anyone know how students can turn these off themselves?

Hi burgedr@ucmail.uc.edu.  The ideas most closely aligned to this request are https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13446 and https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/13343 as far as I can tell.  Both ideas have been archived so you may need to request access to view them, and they cannot be voted on.  It is possible to resubmit an idea for consideration, which you might think about (see How does the feature idea process work in the Canvas Community?).  

A user can edit their notification settings by going to their profile and notifications.  Once here the individual can change how assignment notifications are handled (see image below).

324744_pastedImage_6.png

Change the notification settings impacts of their classes, however, not just one.  There is an idea open for voting with considerable support to address this, https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1179-users-need-to-be-able-to-customize-notifications-at-the-c....  Also, it may be possible that some institutions don't allow notification settings to be changed.  I am not 100% certain this is possible, but I know that many places ask students not to change the default settings as it could impact when/if notifications are received for announcements, grades, etc.  Just something to consider.

I hope this helps and best wishes! 

Community Member

Hi burgedr@ucmail.uc.edu.  Just as clarification for anyone reading the thread, the feature update allows a user to determine whether or not they get notifications from a course but does not allow an instructor to effectively mute a course and prevent notifications being sent to students who haven't turned them off.  Many discussions and feature ideas related to this functionality include a discussion of both.  I am very happy that this change was made as I am part of many classes that I will not be able to avoid messages from!

Yes I understand. It’s for the students to do.

Sent from my iPhone

Yeah, and this not what I need and not what so many people have been asking for. I would rather be able to mute notifications for some changes so students don't feel the need to mute the whole course! When we changed over to online instruction, my poor students got a deluge of notifications for every little change to assignments that weren't due for weeks yet. I just want a little button to tick to mute notification of a change.