cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sara_samples1
Surveyor II

Can instructors leave comments that are NOT able to be viewed by students/observers?

I would like to be able to leave comments on an assignment that are only able to be viewed by teachers, either for communicating with my co-teachers or just for myself when I come back to the assignment.  Is this possible? 

7 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@sara_samples ,

If you Mute the assignment, the students cannot see the comments or inline markups until the assignment is unmuted.  This would be the only way to accomplish this.  For more information on muting assignments please see:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12961-4152724339 

Robbie 

But along with this, as soon as the assignment was unmuted then the student would be able to see everything that was posted in Speedgrader related to their specific assignment.

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @sara_samples ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on January 10, 2018.  It looks like  @Robbie_Grant  and  @kona  have provided some feedback for you later that day.  Have you had an opportunity to review their replies?  If so, did either of their replies help to answer your question?  Or, are you still looking for some assistance with this question?  If you feel that either Robbie's or Kona's response has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark that response as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this thread to post an update below so that someone from the Community might be able to help you.  I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we have not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over three months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below which are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Sara.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

sara_samples1
Surveyor II

My issue was not addressed by Robbie specifically because of what Kora said in her reply. 

What I’ll sometimes do is put information I don’t want students to see in the Notes column in the gradebook. Students can’t see what’s written there, but other teachers can see it. 

I am not sure what you mean by Note column.  Do you mean the comment section when you open an assignment from the gradebook instead of through the assignment feature? 

this_

Hello there,  @sara_samples ...

I believe that  @kona ‌ is referring to this: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12899-4152170783 

Hope this helps, Sara!