Can modules follow a master calendar/schedule?

Jump to solution
jon_av
Community Member

I tried searching the forums and didn't see a similar question, so I hope I can explain this well enough. Is there a way to set different modules to "copy" or import content from a master calendar or schedule? I'm looking for a way to set up a master calendar, and then have individual modules reflect that calendar.

For instance, I teach an intro to film course. Each week, students are required to watch a different film and write a response paper on the film. Currently, I have a separate module for each week, and each semester I have to go into each week's module separately with the name of the film (we mix up films from semester to semester). I'm trying to streamline that process by setting up a calendar or schedule in such a way that Canvas can auto-update any references to that content.

So if I set up a schedule that says "Week 3 - Film History" and suppose the film we watch that week is "The General" (1926). But the next semester we might watch a different film, say "City Lights" (1931). Currently, I have to update that content in the syllabus, plus the module for week 3, as well updating a reminder on week 3 that the paper is due the following week. Just trying to see if there's a way to set things up where I update one section (i.e., a master schedule or calendar), which can then be easily updated semester to semester --- it gets rather tedious having to update the content in four or five places.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
bbennett2
Community Champion

No, there is no way to do this natively without some kind of custom programming through an LTI or other plugin.

What you might want to look into is a Blueprint Course with your admin. This allows you to build a single course that then pushes itself down into anything generated from that template. So, you don't need to update each section each semester after importing content. If you build a blueprint, courses generated use that template and content updates automatically.

A way to extend the blueprint would be to have a sandboxed master course which has everything included in it. Your workflow would be:

1. Build material in the master course. All pages, assignments, and even Modules could be prebuilt as a repository.
  2. Define a blueprint course for each semester.
  3. Import the appropriate material from the master into the new blueprint.
  4. Generate student courses from the blueprint.

Separating out concerns gives you a content library that can be pulled from any time. Blueprints allow you to push those changes automatically to courses semester by semester. Any instructor can always go back to the master repository class (assuming they have access) to grab supplemental materials as needed.

View solution in original post

0 Likes