cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
amaniae-int
Community Member

Can professors take Attendance on the Canvas mobile app?

Hello,

When I click on the Attendance link of the IOS Canvas app, it takes me to a blank screen.  Is it possible to take Attendance using the Canvas mobile app?

Tags (1)
6 Replies
garth
Surveyor II

I was able to access Roll Call using the Android version of the Canvas app.

When I first accessed a test course, I closed the Home page which gave me a drop down menu at the top of the window.

The drop down is essentially the same course navigation menu that appears in the browser, I scrolled down to find the "Attendance" option, and when I selected it Roll Call was loaded.

Thank you, that's good to know.  Most of the professors who have asked me have iPhones.  Does anyone know if this is possible for iPhones?  If not, iPads?

@amaniae-int , I have not tested this myself--but  @Renee_Carney ​ has. Please refer to the discussion surrounding ; a teacher with an iPhone or iPad can launch the Canvas course through the phone's browser and take attendance that way.

dcaparula
Community Member

Hi  @amaniae-int ​ and stefaniesanders​,

We have a few instructors who take attendance using the iphone Canvas by Instructure app, without having to launch the browser. In the past when the screen has failed to load, the solution has been to uninstall and then reinstall the app.

However, this week we have found another issue - instructors can't modify attendance for the student at the bottom of the roster due to the navigation panel (image below). The list won't scroll above the bar unless you drag and hold, in which case you can't click on it because you already have another touch point. Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks!

Denise

iOS Canvas app attendance.PNG

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @amaniae-int ​...

I was able to test this on my iPhone 6 Plus using the Canvas app, and I didn't have any major issues.  Yes, the attendance screen did take a few seconds to populate with students, but it did show up after initially seeing a white screen.  The interface was pretty much identical to what you'd see when taking attendance via the web.

Also, to address the question that  @dcaparula ​ mentioned above, I did not experience this behavior.  The mobile team at Instructure may have addressed this issue in a recent release (though I didn't see any mention of any fixes to Attendance in either of the release notes on the iOS Store).  Since her posting on August 24th, there have been two updates to the iOS app...one on August 26th (version 3.14.2) and one on September 27th (version 3.15.0).

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @amaniae-int ​...

Checking in with you again because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic since October 8th.  Did any of the above responses help to answer your question?  If so, please go ahead and mark one of those responses as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for assistance, please let us know that as well by posting a message below.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from adding additional replies to this topic.  Thank you, Liza.