cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bpayne01
Surveyor

Can student attach a file to a discussion thread?

I am building a Blueprint course for a faculty and he as a weekly current event article write up each week (2-4 pages) and has given instructions to post the attachments to the discussion thread.  Then students are supposed to review what some of the others have done and get "participation" points by making comments.  Now, I know I could just have students copy/paste from their Word doc to the dialogue box, but the instructions are "attach your paper" and I can't find any easy way for students to attach.  Am I missing something?

Thanks!

Tags (1)
9 Replies
kmeeusen
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @payner5 ‌

Curiously, this functionality is controlled by a checkbox under course Settings, at the bottom, and only if you click "More Options"  They did a great job of hiding this feature, didn't they? Look at the checkbox just below the #3 in the screenshot below...............

264100_pastedImage_1.png

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@robert_payne  and  @kmeeusen , you can also enable that permission on the Discussions Index page. Click on the gear sprocket that appears at the top of the index page, and select "Let students attach files to discussions." You'll see that depicted in https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12688-415265779 

Thanks @Stefanie

I seldom have a need for edits on the Discussion Index page, and did not realize that has been added there. Nice!

Excellent! Converting from 18 years in Blackboard so am learning on the

fly. As usual, the Canvas Community is awesome and always comes through.

I appreciate it very much!

Robert Payne

Instructional Designer

Baker College System

O: 810-766-4053

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

I did not know that was there!  Thanks for sharing stefaniesanders‌!

kblack
Community Member

Allow me to add to  @kmeeusen ‌ and stefaniesanders‌' always-sage advice that the key word in here for this topic is "settings."  When dealing with a Blueprint course, as you are, changing that alone may not be enough to "trigger" a new sync to all associated courses.  But once you, for example, create a new assignment/discussion/whatever that will trigger your next sync, make absolutely certain that you also enable the checkbox for Include Course Settings, since what Kelley and Stefanie describe would fall under the "course settings" category:

Syncing Blueprint settings

Great point,  @kblack ! Thanks for reminding me of the "Blueprint Courses" aspect of the original question.

Excellent! Converting from 18 years in Blackboard so am learning on the

fly. As usual, the Canvas Community is awesome and always comes through.

I appreciate it very much!

Robert Payne

Instructional Designer

Baker College System

O: 810-766-4053

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 5:23 PM, kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu <

Ditto, on what Stefanie said, Ken!

thanks!