cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Can students mark an assignment as completed if there is no onine submission requirement?

Jump to solution

I am using VoiceThread in my course and I have created an assignment to track the students' involvement. I know there are some ways to integrate VoiceThread as a graded assignment, but this unfortunately will not work for me in my use-case. A similar use-case would be having a written paper assignment that needed to be turned in as only a printed copy. In both scenarios there is an assignment in the course with points associated with it. It is also visible in the modules so that students can see the instructions and due date. The problem that I am running into is that there seems to be no way for the students to mark the activity as complete.

I have tried marking it as "no submission" and "paper" submission, but both give me the following results.

311434_pastedImage_2.png

I imagine that when the assignment is graded by the instructor that this is finally checked off. However, this is not great for students that are using this as a way to keep track of what they have and have not completed for the week. Am I missing anything here, or does this just need to go in as a suggested feature?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi lybberte@byui.edu,

I think what you're looking for is adding a 'Mark Done' requirement. You can find more details in the How do I add requirements to a module? guide. You would make this a 'No Submission' or 'On Paper' type of assignment (your choice, but they're functionally the same) and then give the item a 'Mark Done' requirement within the Module settings. This will let students self-mark that they have completed the assignment.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi lybberte@byui.edu,

I think what you're looking for is adding a 'Mark Done' requirement. You can find more details in the How do I add requirements to a module? guide. You would make this a 'No Submission' or 'On Paper' type of assignment (your choice, but they're functionally the same) and then give the item a 'Mark Done' requirement within the Module settings. This will let students self-mark that they have completed the assignment.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you so much for this! Our Faculty Technology Center told me that it could not be done. I am glad that it is possible.

Highlighted

Glad I could help! Feel free to reach out again if any other questions come up.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you Andrew, that is very helpful. 

For anyone following.. A tricky part in figuring out how to implement the Mark As Done is first found in the module level.

When you edit your module settings, look for Requirements at the bottom. It's the setting within that where you'll find mark as done. Directions to follow.Module Edit Dialog Box

Then you must select a requirement. I was a bit stymied by the process but understood that you can select the drop down box (below requirements) to chose your assignment (et al) and then choose mark as done. 

It will be reflected in your dashboard like this:

Dashboard module with Requirements + Mark As Done

Hope that helps!

Cheers, Lisa

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels