cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Can students view details for unavailable assignments?

Jump to solution

I'm looking for a way in which a student can be prevented from submitting an assignment until a certain date, but still have access to see the assignment description. Currently, if I set as assignment with an Available Date in the future, the whole assignment becomes locked, including the description:

54283_pastedImage_0.png

Ideally, I would like the student to be able to see the description of the assignment, but not have the option to submit the assignment. Does anyone know if there is currently a way to do this in Canvas?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

merickson@everspringpartners.com​, unfortunately, no, there isn't a good way to do this.

One option would be have the assignment open and available to the students, but set to "no submissions" for the submission type. Students could then read the directions, but wouldn't be able to submit anything until you went in and manually changed the submission type to Online.

Another possibility is to add the directions to a page or calendar event that was available to students - you could even provide a link to the assignment. This way would require front-end work to set-up but then you wouldn't need to remember to go in and change something.

You might want to consider adding this as a new Canvas Feature Ideas. For more information on how feature ideas work see the following guides How do I create a new feature idea? and How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

merickson@everspringpartners.com​, unfortunately, no, there isn't a good way to do this.

One option would be have the assignment open and available to the students, but set to "no submissions" for the submission type. Students could then read the directions, but wouldn't be able to submit anything until you went in and manually changed the submission type to Online.

Another possibility is to add the directions to a page or calendar event that was available to students - you could even provide a link to the assignment. This way would require front-end work to set-up but then you wouldn't need to remember to go in and change something.

You might want to consider adding this as a new Canvas Feature Ideas. For more information on how feature ideas work see the following guides How do I create a new feature idea? and How does the voting process work for feature ideas?

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Matt,

I would suggest something like set up your assignment as a Content Page in a Module with a link to the assignment.  In that Content Page you could put all the pertinent information the students would need to complete it and then on the pre-set date, they would have access to submit the assignment.

This could be a great place to reinforce some key concepts about the unit or module the assignment is tied to.  There are some definite creative possibilities using this method.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Maureen

Highlighted
Surveyor

Thanks for the suggestions. I opened up to address this.

Highlighted

To work around this, I've added warnings to the assignment descriptions, e.g., "Please do not submit this assignment early! You can't do well on it until . . . "  I suppose one could issue a stronger warning, "Assignments submitted prior to DATE will get a zero."