cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Adventurer

Can't Use Screen Recorder for Arc

I reached out to Canvas Support recently, because myself and another faculty member can't use the Canvas Screen Recorder for Arc. I have the cache cleared in Firefox every time I close it and in Chrome's Incognito Mode it still doesn't load. We both are running Windows 7 SP1 and I also reached out to another person who is also running Win 7 SP1 and it worked fine for her. Support suggested that I reach to my IT Department to see if a firewall is blocking the software as they were not able to reproduce the issue on their end. Does anyone have any other ideas what may cause this issue?

Thank you for your assistance.

10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I had this same issue and mine was due to Chrome not being up to date. I thought that Chrome auto updated, but apparently it no longer does (likely due to restrictions by my place of work). Once we updated Chrome I was able to use the screen recorder just fine. 

Highlighted

Paula,

Here's the kicker, both my instances of Chrome and Firefox are the latest editons, and it still doesn't work. I noticed that it uses elements of Java and I updated that as well, still nothing. I appreciate the suggestion though.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello ericwhitmer@sjrstate.edu...

I wanted to let you know that I have shared your question with the Arc Users Group‌ here in the Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  It looks like you've joined that group already, and that's great!  Good luck.  It will be interesting to hear what solution works for you.  We run into this sometimes, too.  In fact, I had to help a student today with recording himself in Arc.  Clearing his browsing history solved the problem for him.

Highlighted
Adventurer

ericwhitmer@sjrstate.edu -  I am curious at what point it doesn't work for you.  What are the steps to reproduce?    For example, earlier today I noted that we have software installed that prevents 'unauthorized' apps from being installed so when the app was being installed we had to approve the install by clicking through a set of approval screens.

I would also look at refreshing the browser cache:  https://www.refreshyourcache.com/en/home/ 

And probably also try Chrome, but not in incognito mode.

But if I was getting nowhere fast with the troubleshooting I would probably opt to use this Screen Recorder & Video Editor | Screencast-O-Matic  or this Loom | Free Screen & Video Recording Software  to create my screen recordings and then simply upload that file to Arc.  At least for the time being until I had more time to explore the causation.

Highlighted

I just click on Screen Capture, and the tool acts if it's about to start, but it never does inside both Chrome and Firefox and my cache is cleared out also. I'm due for a computer refresh soon from my IT department by the end of summer at the latest which will be a Win10 box, it's not urgent for me at the present time. Thanks for your help.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

We have just put Arc into our toolbox and are also having issues with launching Screen Capture.

It seems there is an update sever that the software tries contacting that is blocked by our firewall. I'm in the process of trying to establish what the URL is so we can whitelist it.

I get the below screen (after install and launch).

I'll follow up when/if I resolve.

311816_image.png

Highlighted

Was it: files.instructuremedia.com ?

Highlighted

I don't know - I haven't received a reply from Instructure as yet..... : (

I'll pass this one on to our ICT Team and they can test.

Thanks Jeff.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

I received word from Instructure (Aus) on the sites to whitelist;

The Recorder needs to access files over port 80 on:
Please also allow all http/https traffic on:
Hope this helps.
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels