cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Can't add new users to course with website upgrade

Jump to solution

With the update to the website, I'm unable to add new students to my course. Previously, I would paste emails into the box that comes up when I click +People. Then I would hit next and get the screen that is attached. There used to be check boxes to the left of each email address, so I could select them to be added to the course. The check boxes are no longer there! When I choose 'Next' from this screen it tells me no users have been added to the course. Am I doing something wrong?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Learner II

I apologize - I don't have the ability to do that since I don't work for Canvas.  I would highly recommend that at this point in time, you contact Canvas Support directly, either by submitting a ticket to the Service Cloud (you can access through Global Navigation Menu) or by calling support if you have access to that.

353087_pastedImage_1.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
14 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

I just had the same problem too. I cannot get around it at all. I added somebody yesterday and today tried to add a person and got the same notice.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Same problem

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

I have had the exact same issue. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

Hi reneeb@gfi.org and welcome to the Canvas Community!  Are you a course instructor or a Canvas admin?  Are the students already Canvas users?  Do the students have school email addresses (as opposed to personal accounts) that need to be enrolled into your course?  Just want to confirm this.  Having this information would definitely help.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks, Rebecca. I am the admin for my organization's MOOC that anyone can sign up for, so students may or may not already be Canvas users. They are usually signing up with personal or work email accounts, and we have over 5000 people enrolled. This is the first time I've had an issue! It looks like other instructors/admins are having the same problem. Hopefully, it's just a temporary glitch!

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Rebecca. Our problem is that when we click on the +Person button to add a person to our course, it asks us for the e-mail like usual. We put the person's e-mail in and hit next. After we do that up until today at around 3 PM PDT, it would say that person cannot be found, enter their name and hit next. You would do that and hit next and it would send an e-mail to the person to invite them to your course. Now it just says that the person cannot be found. So yes we are instructors. We cannot be admins because these are the free teacher accounts which do not have admin. The students are NOT already canvas users. The e-mail is irrelevant. I tried it with multiple different e-mail types.

I saw your work around of allowing the students to self enroll, which I am using right now, but it is easier on me to keep track of who is in the course if I can control the e-mail address and usernames that are assigned to each person.

Highlighted
Community Member

I agree, students that are trying to enroll are still haing hard times following. The work around is soo much harder. Please add the old way back.

Antoine Avinger

National Board Certified Teacher

MAED Math

MA Executive Leadership

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Learner II

I apologize - I don't have the ability to do that since I don't work for Canvas.  I would highly recommend that at this point in time, you contact Canvas Support directly, either by submitting a ticket to the Service Cloud (you can access through Global Navigation Menu) or by calling support if you have access to that.

353087_pastedImage_1.png

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

This is what I had to do to add my new students. Go to your course and click on settings. From there scroll all the way down to more options. Click on that, it will enable you to copy a link to send to the student to self enroll in the class. Once you click update and scroll back to the bottom of the page it will give you the link information. The first link didn't work for some reason but the second one did with the http:register and then add the code.

Good luck.

The other way is much easier but this is at least working for now.

Labels