cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Can't preview student-uploaded video files in Speedgrader

Jump to solution

I can't preview student-uploaded video files in Speedgrader. I am forced to download them first, despite the fact that when I float over the uploaded student video file, text appears saying "click on the file to preview". It would be much easier to preview rather than download, and it looks like the functionality should exist...

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

If the student submits files using the Canvas Media uploader, then instructors should be able to see the videos if they are a common file format (.mp4, .mov).

The students should submit the video files using the Media tab in the submission screen:

If the student submits the video file using the regular "File Upload" tab, odds are Canvas will just treat it like a file, and anyone trying the view the submission will have to download it. If a student submits a file using the Media tab, Canvas will convert it on the backend so teachers can see the video in SpeedGrader. Conversion may take a while if the video file is large.

In the future, you can also have your students upload the video as an unlisted YouTube or Vimeo video, and just have them submit the video URL.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

If the student submits files using the Canvas Media uploader, then instructors should be able to see the videos if they are a common file format (.mp4, .mov).

The students should submit the video files using the Media tab in the submission screen:

If the student submits the video file using the regular "File Upload" tab, odds are Canvas will just treat it like a file, and anyone trying the view the submission will have to download it. If a student submits a file using the Media tab, Canvas will convert it on the backend so teachers can see the video in SpeedGrader. Conversion may take a while if the video file is large.

In the future, you can also have your students upload the video as an unlisted YouTube or Vimeo video, and just have them submit the video URL.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi Gunther, 

Why do I keep getting Flash Required for recording for both video and audio,  Flash is automatically enabled in Chrome web browser, so why would I get that error?

0 Kudos
Labels