cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
shankear
Community Member

Can't upload viewable PDFs

Jump to solution

A user can't upload readable PDFs. She can view  PDFs, email them to other people who are able to view them, create PDFs, etc, but when she uploads a PDF to Canvas the PDF is listed but the icon is plain white instead of a white background with the  Acrobat logo. This happens with PDFs she creates as well as with PDFs created on other machines. It happens in all three main browsers. When the PDF is selected, an error message says the PDF can't be accessed. This user can add the same PDFs to Box and view them. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
shankear
Community Member

Hey all,

Thanks for your responses. The Dell machine is running W7 64x Enterprise.
I logged into the user's machine as myself and was able to upload PDFs to Canvas, so I knew it was localized to her account.
A coworker had seen something similar before and came up with this fix: We deleted mimeTypes.rdf in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<name>.default

This issue was happening in IE and Chrome as well. Even though we only deleted the mimeTypes file in Firefox, the user is now able to upload with Chrome.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RobDitto
Navigator

By any chance, are some of these PDFs uploaded using a Firefox browser? We had a few Firefox users report the same plain white icon with PDF uploads which could not be previewed.

Zach Watson, a Canvas Support engineer, recommended this fix:

What to do if you can't download or save files | Firefox Help

Even though that solution is described as a fix to downloading, it also resolves an intermittent problem which a Firefox browser can develop: failing to send the "application/pdf" MIME type along with an upload.  (There's a different version of the same fix here.)

Jeff_F
Adventurer II

Details such as the type of device and OS would help.  I mention this as these are key details for troubleshooting.

In the past when PDFs would not open I found the culprit to be a 3rd party browser add-in.  Uninstalling (or reinstalling) is one approach.  Another is associating the Acrobat Reader to the file type.  More direct from Adobe: Can't open Adobe Acrobat or Reader PDF

shankear
Community Member

Hey all,

Thanks for your responses. The Dell machine is running W7 64x Enterprise.
I logged into the user's machine as myself and was able to upload PDFs to Canvas, so I knew it was localized to her account.
A coworker had seen something similar before and came up with this fix: We deleted mimeTypes.rdf in C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\<name>.default

This issue was happening in IE and Chrome as well. Even though we only deleted the mimeTypes file in Firefox, the user is now able to upload with Chrome.

Thanks.

View solution in original post