Can the default sort order of terms default to most recent on top?

Jump to solution
ken_i_mayer
Community Participant

My current institution has never put any end dates on terms, so the "active" terms go back to 2014. And the default "Default Term" does not pick up the current term's offerings.

Is there any way--besides a custom javascript--to change the sortorder so that Fall 2019 appears at the top of the drop down term menus, so I don't have to scroll all the way down through 15+ terms to get to it?

And actually, in different environments I see two different sort orders. In "Analytics" it sorts alphabetically, so Fall2014, Fall2015...Fall2019 and then Spring2014,...Summer2019.
But within an account or subaccount it sorts based on start date, I guess.

I just started working here, so I'm not sure of the full rationale for our institution not putting end dates on terms, but obviously that might be a thing to work towards.

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Ken,

What you are describing is one reason why I used Term Dates.  For us it's not so much to control access to courses as it is for better filtering and default dashboard views.  Putting end dates on terms will help keep users Dashboard cleaned up by dropped old courses off.  In Analytics if you don't have dates on your terms the activity graph at the top will group by weeks and eventually months because the timeframe is so long.  Having Term Dates helps bound the Analytics view and thus keeps the activity bars by day with a shorter time range.  

I know this isn't an answer to your actual question and like you I'd at least want the sort orders consistent between the different views.  I guess I'm suggesting that adding some term dates might help with a few things.  If you are concerned about how they work for current and recent terms just add them to some of your very old ones first to see how it affects things.

Rick

View solution in original post