cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Can the student to-do list be disabled?

I would like to know if it is possible to hid the to do list from the student view.  We are having an issue with some students clicking on the assignments from the to do list instead of following the order of the modules.  It would be less confusing for our middle school students to see less on the homepage of their course.  Thank you!

Tags (2)
29 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

hmrozarb@volusia.k12.fl.us, this isn't an option on the front end of Canvas. It might be possible on the backend with some custom global JavaScript, but that area isn't my expertise. To help with this I'm going to share this with the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/canvas-developers?sr=search&searchId=5af56aac-cade-4913-9816-...‌ group in the Community to see if they can assist. 

Highlighted

Many, many thanks, Kona! Let them know that many of us don't appreciate being force fed how to manage our website and our students. When a new feature is available, Canvas has to automatically include an off button for that feature. The "To do" list is a nuisance for many teachers. Make it go away now, please.

Highlighted
Community Member

I am with you, hmrozarb@volusia.k12.fl.us, I have to repeat SO many times each semester to look at the home page instead of the To-Do list because I have many things in the course that the students need to see or read that they skip over because they just keep looking at the due dates in the To-Do.  This would be a great feature.

Highlighted

don.bryn@donbryn.com 

Ditto! Like you, I repeat that refrain too many times during the term, and students still don't recognize the connection between living from the To-Do list and their poor course performance.

From a fully online teacher perspective, I would hunt down the To-Do list, rip its heart out and leave it laying in a gutter if I could!  Alternately, I would love a bit of code that would hide it based on role.

Highlighted
Highlighted

rip its heart out and leave it laying in a gutter if I could!  So many of my students write to me and say "I can't open assignments" and I realize it is all because of the "To Do" List.  They can access my assignments although I do not let them see the Assignment Navigation Link.  Ugh.  I hide assignments on purpose, and so many students get confused by clicking on the To Do List and finding that an assignment is there-then they get shocked when they see nothing in the assignment.

Highlighted

Exactly!  The students go straight to the assignment without going through the lesson (a page on Canvas) first.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

hmrozarb@volusia.k12.fl.us,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Highlighted

No, I do not consider this question answered.  It has been a year.  Can the to do list now be disabled?