cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Can you change the default Grading Scheme for all Courses/Assignments?

Jump to solution

Is there anyway to change the default grading scheme?

We use a grading scheme for all of our courses that is different from the Canvas default. Our grading scheme has been set up on all terms. But when selecting Letter Grade on a new assignment and "View Grading Scheme" is selected, the Canvas default scheme is displayed and our own needs to be selected to override it. If teachers do not go to "View Grading Scheme" they will not see that it is not the correct one.

Is there someway to have all assignments default to our grading scheme? 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Learner II

Yes, it can be done using the courses api on the backend. First you need to figure out the grading standard id number which you can find in the Grading Standards section. Then you can use the Courses grading_standard_id in the api to set it in the courses. 

Not sure how tech savy you are. I am not a programmer and use Postman/Runner to apply our grading standard to all our course shells after initial setup. If the teachers want the standard applied, it they are free to change but, at least it is there correctly to start with. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

kswise@chicagoartsacademy.org, greetings! I can't think of anything directly available to an Admin that would do this, but my guess is that it might be possible on the back-end of Canvas. That isn't my area of expertise though so I'm sharing this with the Canvas Admins‌ and Canvas Developers‌ groups in the Community to see if they can help.

Kona

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you..it would be huge help. You cant tell what scale you are using

unless you open View. Most of the teachers who select this are arts

teachers and they don't even look at it.

Highlighted
Learner II

Yes, it can be done using the courses api on the backend. First you need to figure out the grading standard id number which you can find in the Grading Standards section. Then you can use the Courses grading_standard_id in the api to set it in the courses. 

Not sure how tech savy you are. I am not a programmer and use Postman/Runner to apply our grading standard to all our course shells after initial setup. If the teachers want the standard applied, it they are free to change but, at least it is there correctly to start with. 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Would setting your institution's grade scheme in the all template courses, from which your courses are built, solve the problem?  We have tested this and it seems to work, but I'm wondering if there are any issues around it?

Kind regards,

Dennis Hood
Senior Manager, Learning Management System

Princeton University

0 Kudos
Labels