Can you create a subgroup of students within a course?

Jump to solution
dbruns
Community Explorer

I have a math teacher who has a full class, but 12 of the 25 students are dual-credit students who must meet additional requirements. She would like to create a group of these 12 students so she doesn't have to select their 12 names each time she gives them an assignment that only applies to them. Is this possible? When I try to search for information, I can only find information about creating group assignments. Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@dbruns  

The facility within Canvas for doing this is a "section." People frame their understanding around their experiences and so that means that many people think of "section" as a course section -- they're all in the same section. However, Canvas allows for a more liberal interpretation of the word and you can have multiple sections within a course and students can even be in multiple sections within the same course.

See this lesson from the Canvas Instructor Guide on how to create them: How do I add a section to a course as an instructor? 

Sections can also be created through a SIS import so that if the student information system knew which students were dual credit, they could go ahead and create that so the student didn't have to put them in manually. With 12 students, it's not a big deal, but if that's 12 students for lots of faculty, it may be something the school wants to look into doing for the instructors.

View solution in original post