cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Learner II

Can you prevent trainers from seeing exam quiz questions?

We want to setup our main exams on Canvas but are concerned that all teachers/teaching assistants associated with a course can view the exam questions.  Generally these questions are setup by a separate group and we would like to prevent teachers from viewing them both before and after the exam. This is mainly a security issue but if teachers can't see the questions then they can potentially be used again in future exams.

We handle this fine before the exam by setting the questions up as Question Banks, which are only viewable by a small number of administrators.  However, once the questions are brought into the course as a quiz, they are visible to all admins and teachers on the course.

Has anyone else come across this problem and come up with a workaround?  It would be great if we could mark some quizzes as 'exams' and limit their visibility. 

Thanks
Barbara 

6 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

barbaracoen@heedo.com, this would need to be something you tweaked in the user permission Admin area - Assignments and Quizzes - https://s3.amazonaws.com/tr-learncanvas/docs/Canvas_Permissions_Course.pdf .

Yet, to turn that off, you’d also turn off Assignment stuff as well, which I’m not sure if you want them to see or not. 

Kona

Hi Kona

Thanks for your reply and for the attachment which is very useful.

I definitely don't want to prevent trainers from evaluating assignments, I don't really want to prevent them from creating their own quizzes either.  What I do want to prevent is them seeing the questions in high-stakes end of year exams, so it's a bit of a special case. To be honest I would sacrifice their ability to add/edit/delete quizzes if necessary but not assignments.

I"m surprised this hasn't come up before. Do most institutions run their exams in Canvas or separately?  I'm sure the security concerns are not limited to ourselves.

Thanks
Barbara

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, barbaracoen@heedo.com...

I am reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I thought that I would check in with you because we've not had any new activity in this topic since your reply to kona@richland.edu‌ on February 26, 2019.  Do you feel that your question has been resolved (either by way of one of the replies above or by another solution you've found since February)?  If you feel that one of of the above replies (including your own) has answered your question, please feel free to mark it as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help from Community members, please let us know that as well by posting a note below letting us know how we might be of assistance.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for almost nine months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Barbara.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

Hi Chris

I guess the question was answered but not resolved.

I would like to identify some quizzes as 'exams' so that they cannot be viewed by Teachers once the exam has taken place.  We have many Teachers on our courses and would rather they didn't all have full visibility to the end of year exam questions.

Thanks

Barbara

barbaracoen@heedo.com, have you thought about having a separate "exams" course? That way the students could get in and take their exams, but the teachers wouldn't have access?

As a side note, I'm not sure your location or where you teach, but our teachers are normally the ones who MAKE their own exams and administer them. If I didn't feel we could trust our teachers with exam questions and not sharing them, then I'm not sure we would hire them. Yet, I'm not sure of your situation or the type of exams you are administrating, so there could be a user-case for this.

Kona

Hi Kona

We have enrolment licenses, not user licenses, so creating a separate course for exams isn't really an option.

The challenge we face is that we are delivering medical residency courses, which have faculty and supervisors. There could be at least 50 supervisors on a course, across multiple hospitals, and their role is to evaluate residents performing clinical tasks, as a result we must give them access to the 'teacher' permissions. However, we don't particularly want them looking at the exams.

We also have multiple faculty, with many only being involved in the project for a couple of weeks in the year when they are covering a particular area. So not ideal for them to see all the exams either.

It's not that we don't trust people but these are high-stakes exams that we want to keep under wraps.

Thanks
Barbara