cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pamela_samoska
Community Member

Can you reopen a closed course in order to export course?

Jump to solution

I have an old course that I marked as master, but was closed on me anyway. I'd like to export contents into a new course. Is this possible?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @pamela_samoska and welcome to the Community!  There is no need to reopen a course if all you would like to do is export the course content or transfer this into another course shell.  Provided you can find the course on your dashboard or in the Courses tab and click on it, you can still go to the Settings tab and export the course (see How do I export a Canvas course?)

However, an easier way to move material from one course shell to another, if you are a teacher in both, is to transfer the course content into the new course using the course import tool.  This is done from your new course shell and the process is described in this document: How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool? 

I hope this helps but if you run into any trouble, please let us know!

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @pamela_samoska and welcome to the Community!  There is no need to reopen a course if all you would like to do is export the course content or transfer this into another course shell.  Provided you can find the course on your dashboard or in the Courses tab and click on it, you can still go to the Settings tab and export the course (see How do I export a Canvas course?)

However, an easier way to move material from one course shell to another, if you are a teacher in both, is to transfer the course content into the new course using the course import tool.  This is done from your new course shell and the process is described in this document: How do I copy content from another Canvas course using the Course Import tool? 

I hope this helps but if you run into any trouble, please let us know!

View solution in original post