cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Cannot add students to sections in an active course

Jump to solution

I had a colleague ask about creating sections in their course so that they could make different assignments to groups of students in the same course.

To show them how it was done, I used one of my old courses.  I added a section, edited the section so that it was active in the current time frame and then went to the people tab and edited the sections feature for students.  In this scenario, I start typing the name of the section and it comes up as an option to add the student.  Everything worked exactly as intended.

Well my colleague comes back about an hour later and shows me what he is doing in his current (active) course.  He has done everything I did.  However, when he goes to find the section for a student, it does not show up.  Therefore, I set up a section in one of my active courses and I had the same issue.  Everything sets up fine, but the section does not come up when editing sections for a student.

All of this occurred on the same computer in the same browser(I initially had my colleague use my computer to rule out the Mac he was using), so that is not the issue.  Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Ron

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

@Anthony Bunag - thanks for the information.  In my case, both of us were teachers for our respective courses, so I am not sure how much of what you posted would apply directly to us.  However, the permissions comment made me look at my account in the course where I could add sections and where I could not.  As it turns out, the course I had success in was a cross listed course, so the permissions to view other sections was enabled.  In the courses we were trying, they were regular courses and so the permissions to view students in other sections was not enabled.  Once that was enabled, there was no more problem

For other people that search this topic, below are the steps to be able to add students to your created sections.

1) Click on the people tab in the course and then click on your name

2) under membership you will see the following two lines listed for privileges:

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

the first thing I look for in situations like this is the dates.  That's for the section itself, then the course, then the term.  Next is if there's a permissions issue - is User allowed to add/modify/delete students in Course and Section in that Subaccount.  Lastly, is the User actually allowed to add users to that section.  If they're an admin over that subaccount, they should probably have the permissions, but if they're not an admin, they need to be in the section to add anyone to it.

If none of that works...it may be time to file a bug report.

Highlighted

@Anthony Bunag - thanks for the information.  In my case, both of us were teachers for our respective courses, so I am not sure how much of what you posted would apply directly to us.  However, the permissions comment made me look at my account in the course where I could add sections and where I could not.  As it turns out, the course I had success in was a cross listed course, so the permissions to view other sections was enabled.  In the courses we were trying, they were regular courses and so the permissions to view students in other sections was not enabled.  Once that was enabled, there was no more problem

For other people that search this topic, below are the steps to be able to add students to your created sections.

1) Click on the people tab in the course and then click on your name

2) under membership you will see the following two lines listed for privileges:

View solution in original post