cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
michael5
Learner

Canvabadges - awarding a badge for one module?

Jump to solution

Hello,

We have a lot of individual modules in our learning courses and we want to award a badge for each of the modules through Canvabadges. We are having a hard time figuring out how to do this for just one module and not the entire course with the options available in the picture below:

Skærmbillede 2016-11-14 kl. 10.15.38.png

Essentially, we want to award a badge to a student if he or she completes 60% of the module called Sensommer (ie. earns 60% of the credits of the module). As the picture illustrates, we've checked "Use variable credits to allow multiple completion paths", checked "Sensommer", typed in the total amount of credits in the module and put ca. 60% of that in "Credits needed for completion".

It is, however, not working as intended and any help would be greatly appreciated - the badge should have been awarded to many students because many have already completed the module, but only a few are getting the badge after we tried to fix it.

We hope some somebody can help - and thanks in advance. 🙂

Michael

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
cphillis
Explorer

Hi Michael,

I haven't done too much with Canvabadges yet but I have played with them a little bit. It looks to me that you have done the right thing in the settings but I wonder if your students are clicking on the "Badge" item in the module list. badge screenshot.JPG

In the information on the Canvabadge website (www.canvabadges.org) there is this note...

Students do not earn badges automatically, they must launch the Canvabadges link in modules after completing criteria in order to be awarded the badge.

I have tested this in one of my courses, if the student doesn't click on the link the badge is not awarded. Could this be the problem for some of your students?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @michael5 ​...

This isn't a direct answer to your question...but it might be something worth exploring.  I am pretty sure that the Badgr LTI app (Edu App Center: Badgr) could assign a badge to a student for the module overall.  However, what I am not completely sure about is if it is a manual process (that would be quite a task if you had lots of students in your course) and if you can set a specific percentage (60%).  I am going to tag  @notto ​in this post in hopes he might be able to provide some additional insights on this.  I'll also share your question with someone at Instructure regarding your specific questions about Canvabadges.

Hope this helps, Michael!

Ah, the problem's been solved now but I think I'll check it out anyway. Thanks for the tip!

cphillis
Explorer

Hi Michael,

I haven't done too much with Canvabadges yet but I have played with them a little bit. It looks to me that you have done the right thing in the settings but I wonder if your students are clicking on the "Badge" item in the module list. badge screenshot.JPG

In the information on the Canvabadge website (www.canvabadges.org) there is this note...

Students do not earn badges automatically, they must launch the Canvabadges link in modules after completing criteria in order to be awarded the badge.

I have tested this in one of my courses, if the student doesn't click on the link the badge is not awarded. Could this be the problem for some of your students?

View solution in original post

That fixed the problem! The students just have to open the badge and press "allow" for the Canvabadges app to function, then they get their badge. Thanks, that saved us a lot of time. 🙂

Also, to anyone reading up on how to structure the credits for badges for individual modules, our way of structuring the credit points was correct (as seen in original post).