Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Canvas API Web Server Hosting Getting Started

Jump to solution

Question 1

I am having trouble understanding where my Application's HTML, JavaScript and PHP files will actually live.  Does Canvas have a built-in Web Host that I could tie Dreamweaver to upload and download source files in the canvas domain or is it the Developers responsibility to provide the Web Hosting?

Currently I am using my own web site and the code is working great.

After reading several Getting Started documents and watching the Canvas provided Videos I have not come across any documentation that explains who is doing the hosting.

[EDITED, SPLIT TO A SEPARATE QUESTION]

Question 2

If I want to create an application that only administrators would be allowed to run would I create the app in Gauge and authenticate via the client_id and client_secret (https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-15993-716691017311) or would I just support individual tokens created by each admin under their Account->Settings->New Access Token?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Learner II

If you need to run a server-side application built with something like PHP, then you cannot host this on an Instructure  Canvas server.  You need to host it elsewhere.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

If you need to run a server-side application built with something like PHP, then you cannot host this on an Instructure  Canvas server.  You need to host it elsewhere.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

It sounds like you're developing an application to integrate with Canvas (an LTI of some sort?) Depending on how heavy the usage of your application will be you may be able to get by with the free tier of HerokuLinode, and Digital Ocean are also great hosting services.