Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Explorer

Canvas Catalog

Jump to solution

Greetings.

We're exploring Canvas Catalog, but I'm not even able to log into the beta site: "If your institution uses a vanity URL, replace the organization name with your full URL, and the periods need to be switched to hyphens. For example, the beta site for www.example.com is www-example-com.beta.catalog.instructure.com."

I've tried this multiple times. Ideas?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

rgibson1​, my guess is that you don't have access because Catalog costs extra (in addition to Canvas) and you would need to talk to your CSM about wanting to check it out and the cost. Same thing goes for data (except the lowest data tier is free). I'm not sure about a list of optional features, but it would be cool if there was one!

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Navigator

Rob, is it that you can't login to the beta site or that the beta site won't load for you?

I will admit I know nothing about the Canvas Catalog and it sounds like Canvas wants to keep it that way. They use vague terms like your URL and this will be created during the Catalog setup process. Other places make it sound like you have to request that the Catalog be enabled.

Anyway, I tried canvas-emporia-edu.beta.catalog.instructure.com and got this error.

2015-10-17_17-33-43.png

We're not using a vanity domain, so I tried richland.beta.catalog.instructure.com and got the same thing.

I tried it without the beta as well and got the same results. If I used anything with a dot in it, then I got an untrusted certificate warning.

There are DNS entries for those machines:

$ host canvas-emporia-edu.beta.catalog.instructure.com

canvas-emporia-edu.beta.catalog.instructure.com is an alias for catalog-beta-329255049.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com.

catalog-beta-329255049.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com has address 52.0.183.89

catalog-beta-329255049.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com has address 54.209.50.157

But anything *.beta.catalog.instructure.com points to those same names, even things that are probably not legitimate organization names.

$ host akdsgha78dgya.beta.catalog.instructure.com

akdsgha78dgya.beta.catalog.instructure.com is an alias for catalog-beta-329255049.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com.

catalog-beta-329255049.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com has address 54.209.50.157

catalog-beta-329255049.us-east-1.elb.amazonaws.com has address 52.0.183.89

That didn't help confirm or deny that Emporia.edu is configured properly.

Here are some questions, but again I'm shooting in the dark. Maybe someone who knows something about the Catalog can chime in.

• Have you actually contacted Canvas about creating a Catalog for Emporia?
  • If so, have they completed the creation process?
  • If so, did you do it within the last week? You posted this email on Tuesday, but it says the beta site is updated every Tuesday. Maybe they forgot to initialize it when they created the Catalog.
  • Can you log into your non-beta Catalog?

Anyway, I'm seeing pretty much the same thing for Emporia that I'm seeing for Richland -- absolutely nothing -- but I'm pretty sure we haven't done anything with the Catalog unless it's automatically enabled. If it is, then there's a problem accessing it, but I have trouble believing Canvas would allow it to be down this long.

Highlighted

Exactly the same thing. Is this something that needs to be enabled by our CSM?

Speaking of which, how are we as the end users supposed to know which things to request through our CSM? I hear about features through other users regarding "contact your CSM." Is there a composite of optional features?

Highlighted

rgibson1​, my guess is that you don't have access because Catalog costs extra (in addition to Canvas) and you would need to talk to your CSM about wanting to check it out and the cost. Same thing goes for data (except the lowest data tier is free). I'm not sure about a list of optional features, but it would be cool if there was one!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

rgibson1, I think kona@richland.edu​ hit the nail on the head with her observation that if a feature in Canvas costs extra the first step in the process would be to contact your CSM. Have you been able to get more information about Canvas Catalog from your CSM?

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

rgibson1​, since we haven't heard from you, I'm going to mark kona@richland.edu​'s response with the Correct Answer designation. Your question remains open for participation, so if you still need help with this, please feel free to post a follow-up comment to "bump" the discussion.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels