Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jared_flaherty
Surveyor

Canvas Conversation with Myself?

Jump to solution

Hi-

Anyone have some insight/experience with sending yourself a Canvas Conversation?        An instructor has recently reported that when she sends herself a Canvas Conversation that it does not ever display in the Canvas Inbox, however it does display when switching from Inbox to Sent.

She also does not get the messages forwarded to the email address in her Ways to Contact email address listed (she has it set to receive Canvas all types of Conversations to ASAP.

I've masqueraded as her and confirm all of this....   I also tested this on my own account and everything is the same, except I do receive the Conversation message to my email that is listed in my Ways to Contact email list.

I'm sorta confused here....  

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Here's what I got from Canvas:

Welcome to LiveChat
Eric PincockSupport Agent

Eric PincockHello Jared Flaherty. How may I help you?

Jared FlahertyHi Eric

Eric PincockHello.

Jared FlahertyI'd like to discuss Canvas Conversations..10:59 am

If I send a Canvas Conversation to myself, it does not display in my Inbox, however it does display in my Sent box

Canvas also fowards the Conversation I had with myself to my email address listed in Canvas

If I reply to that email, it doesn't show back up in Canvas inbox11:00 am

Eric PincockThe conversations tool is not an actual email client, but a way for Canvas accounts to exchange information with eachother.

The reason you don’t get a copy of the message in your inbox, but it shows in your sent is because no information was exchanged between Canvas accounts. That information and message is generated when the information is exchanged.

Same this is happening when you reply to the notification email that is being sent, it’s being sent from the one Canvas account to itself. No new information is being exchanged, so no new message is generated.

Jared FlahertyOk, thank you! Read

Eric PincockSure thing. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Jared FlahertyNo thanks...

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

@jared_flaherty ​, this is a strange one. I've never tried to message myself in Canvas or had anyone ask about it, so this was interesting to read. My recommendation is to contact Canvas Support and see if they've got any insight. If you do contact them, let us know what they have to say! I'd be interested in hearing their response.

Here's what I got from Canvas:

Welcome to LiveChat
Eric PincockSupport Agent

Eric PincockHello Jared Flaherty. How may I help you?

Jared FlahertyHi Eric

Eric PincockHello.

Jared FlahertyI'd like to discuss Canvas Conversations..10:59 am

If I send a Canvas Conversation to myself, it does not display in my Inbox, however it does display in my Sent box

Canvas also fowards the Conversation I had with myself to my email address listed in Canvas

If I reply to that email, it doesn't show back up in Canvas inbox11:00 am

Eric PincockThe conversations tool is not an actual email client, but a way for Canvas accounts to exchange information with eachother.

The reason you don’t get a copy of the message in your inbox, but it shows in your sent is because no information was exchanged between Canvas accounts. That information and message is generated when the information is exchanged.

Same this is happening when you reply to the notification email that is being sent, it’s being sent from the one Canvas account to itself. No new information is being exchanged, so no new message is generated.

Jared FlahertyOk, thank you! Read

Eric PincockSure thing. Is there anything else that I can help you with today?

Jared FlahertyNo thanks...

View solution in original post

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

I agree with  @kona ​...this is interesting.  As an Admin, I went into my Inbox and sent myself a message.  Nothing was "new" in my Inbox after sending the message, but as expected, I did have a copy of the message I sent in my "Sent" folder.  When I checked my work e-mail address, I also had a copy of the message waiting for me there.  However, I think this is because I have the "Conversations Created By Me" option set to "ASAP".

Say,  @chofer ​, do you still have that "Conversations Created By Me" notification in your work e-mail? If so, could you reply to it? I'm curious to know if that starts a conversation in the Canvas Inbox; I suspect it doesn't, but never thought to try that out.

Hi stefaniesanders​...

Yup...I still have the message in my inbox.  I just replied to it, and so far I'm not getting any message notification inside of Canvas.  :smileyplain:

I just did the same and so far no notification in Canvas.    

When forwarding a Conversation to myself I do not get a new email notifcation (even though I have "Conversations Created By Me" activated. Although it appears in my Canvas Inbox. It would be good to get this send to the actual email as well. There are plenty of reasons to do so (e.g. I forget to activate above or usually dont want it etc.).

Thanks,

Bernhard