Canvas Course Dropdown List in Email

Jump to solution
psr
Community Novice

Canvas email - Select Course Dropdown.

Is there a way to expand or search courses to select a course in the Canvas email/course select dropdown list?

Or, is there a way to limit what courses appear in the dropdown? I find that using mouseover to see the course codes does not always work and is itself very difficult. There are so many courses listed and I can't make any sense of the order or titles because the information is cut off left-to-right. Basically there is just a huge list of courses with only partial information visible and I cannot easily find the one I need, nor can I see a way to expand the course list for more details.  There seems to be no way to order the courses either (such as new to old, which would be an obvious feature). Because of this difficulty, I have just manually cut and pasted emails to a separate email system. However, email addresses are no longer provided in our application so I am forced to use the Canvas email system. The problem that I am having is that it is so difficult and time consuming to try and find the correct courses from the long list that I face that I can't easily communicate with students. I'm sure that I am missing some simple solution to this because I can't believe this is the way it is supposed to work.  Any advice would be much appreciated.

1 Solution
rmurchshafer
Community Champion

Hi Paul,

Depending on how your school has set up the names of courses, I know what you mean about how difficult it can be to find them; especially if all of your old courses are there too (you didn't mention this, just pointing it out).  Do you know how to favorite courses?  Favoriting courses helps by putting just the course you choose on the Dashboard, and it also filters them when sending a message into one area.  To set some of your courses as Favorites do the following:

• Click the Courses icon on the left side of Canvas and select All Course
  • Click the star next to just the course you want to favorite.  You can always come back later and make changes

Now the courses on your Dashboard should just be the ones you favorited and when you go to compose a message in the InBox you'll see a filter for Favorite Courses which will just bring up those.  Hopefully that will help some.

340553_pastedImage_1.png

Rick

View solution in original post