Canvas Data Services: connect to Zapier via HTTPS?

Jump to solution
bonnie4
Community Novice

Hi,

I am trying to understand whether or not Canvas Data Services and the subscriptions to events (Live Events) that we can set up through it is the answer to our problem. In essence, we want info about Canvas events to be kicked to Zapier so we can send it on to Salesforce, etc. I thought this might be possible by choosing to set a data stream up with delivery method HTTPS (rather than SQS) and then provide the URL that Zapier makes available to "catch a webhook". I have set this up as I just described, but Zapier indicates that no information is being sent to its URL, and I don't see any way to troubleshoot in my admin panel in Canvas.

Am I wrong about the usage of HTTPS in Data Services streams? Is that still something that needs to be set up through AWS, and I have no options except to create an AWS account? (Trying to minimize complexity here; I think that Canvas -> AWS -> Zapier -> SF is possible but seems so silly if I can cut AWS out.)

Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Hey Paul - yes I did!! So it turns out it was sending to Zapier over HTTPS after all, I just didn't have the settings right in Data Services (in canvas) for Zapier to parse what it was receiving. The configuration that worked for me was:

Delivery method: HTTPS

Sign Payload: NO (uncheck!)

Message Type: Canvas

With that, I was finally able to get Zapier to parse useful info - for me, it's when a grade changes, and the metadata passed includes the student's email address, which is data I can actually use to make updates in our SF account. hurrah!

View solution in original post