ORIGINAL ISSUE, AS IT STILL STANDS — The Canvas Google Apps LTI authorization is failing on me in Chrome in one course (not others), and observed with faculty. Anyone else? Workarounds?The chat with Instructure support helped determine that it worked in Firefox but not Chrome. They suspected it may have something to do with being logged into multiple accounts. His boss suggested that the Google Apps LTI might need to be re-setup (by our Admin).
Solved! Go to Solution.
Thanks email@example.com . Yes, this has always worked for me. The problem is that we'd have to explain this to 60,000 users who are used to not having a problem using multiple Google accounts — they don't have to do this with other Google API integrations; just Canvas. This special exception for Canvas, imho, should be removed as a matter of removing barriers for learning.
In the meantime, the other workaround — that doesn't require users to change ingrained behavior to access course content — is to use iFrame embedding.
I surely hope Instructure can recognize that adding this barrier for student-access to content is a step backwards that should be done correctly.
Google Apps LTI is still broken for me and some of our faculty.
More trouble shooting.
Anyone from Canvas looking into this?
firstname.lastname@example.org, my co-Canvas Admin and I have experimented with the Google Apps LTI in our Canvas instance, a K-12 district, with our own Google domain.
My district Google account authorization in Canvas worked at first. Now it doesn't. My co-Admin's is still working, as is that of another colleague, a teacher without Admin access.
One other factor that may be relevant. My co-Admin and I both added the Google LTI, independently, and at different moments. We wondered if that somehow created my problem.
We have found that we have to login to the google account that is linked to our Canvas account first and then use the LTI. If we do that it works, if we don't we get the authorize. Most of our users use Chrome. Since you have to login first, it works really well on Chromebooks because you have to login to the chromebook and for us that is the account that is tied to Canvas.
The Google Drive Registered Service is not related to the Google LTI other than being you log into your Google Account with both. So the account signed up for the registered service should not affect the Google LTI log in.
You stated that when adding the two accounts in Chrome, you were still unable to authorize. I have been testing this and was unable to replicate the issue. When I add the two accounts to my Google account on Google.com the LTI will authenticate. I have created a screencast of my testing that I hope helps: https://screencast.com/t/ejAG2lBwNDEW.
Don't hesitate to let me know if you are still coming across this issue, I'd be more than happy to give you a call if needed so we can get this going for you. Please let us know if you have any additional questions; happy to help
When we are done responding to a case we put it in pending waiting for a response. Were you able to look at my screencast, to see my findings? Please let us know if you have any additional questions; happy to help
We really need a definitive answer as to how the Google Drive "Registered Service" interacts with the LTI. The reply you received here ("The Google Drive Registered Service is not related to the Google LTI other than being you log into your Google Account with both") is fairly consistent with the documentation ("For any of your courses, if the Course Navigation Menu includes a Google Drive link, your institution or instructor has enabled a global Google Drive integration. You do not need to enable Google Drive as a web service"), but I've been receiving conflicting information from Canvas Support/seeing different behavior in testing. We were told by support to add Drive as a Registered Service to fix some auth errors (which worked--but before doing so no Google accounts had been added to Registered Services as directed in the doc I linked above), and we were just told today that having a Google account in Registered Services that is different from the account you're authorizing in Collaborations will cause issues. Confirming at minimum that the tool should work without any Google accounts added to Registered Services would be a step in the right direction -- and would suggest that some of the behavior we've seen is indeed buggy/not intended.