cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Canvas Google Apps LTI authorization failures

Jump to solution
  • UPDATE Jan 18, 2018  —Still broken. No word on a fix....
  • UPDATE Aug 8, 2017  —Canvas recognizes this is a bug and is working on a fix (Cases #01843701, #01865357, #02000557). Not sure how or where to get updates on their progress.
  • UPDATE Aug 4, 2017  —Still broken. Still no error message suggesting the user switch browsers or login to Chrome with another account. Still many confused users getting frustrated because Canvas doesn't work Smiley Sad.
  • UPDATE Apr 24, 2017 —Still broken. Not answered. Don't let the "Assumed Answered" label fool you.
  • UPDATE Apr 20, 2017 —Still broken. No movement to fix on Instructure's part. They say it's "working as designed." If so, their design that forces students to jump through more hoops (see comments below) to access course content is a bad one. The goal should be to minimize navigation efforts and maximize access to content. The Canvas Google Apps LTI fails in this criteria.

ORIGINAL ISSUE, AS IT STILL STANDS — The Canvas Google Apps LTI authorization is failing on me in Chrome in one course (not others), and observed with faculty. Anyone else? Workarounds?The chat with Instructure support helped determine that it worked in Firefox but not Chrome. They suspected it may have something to do with being logged into multiple accounts. His boss suggested that the Google Apps LTI might need to be re-setup (by our Admin). 

Here's a screencast of the issue: Canvas Google LTI failures - YouTube 

More troubleshooting:

1. I cleared all Instructure and Canvas cookies,
  2. then logged out of all Google accounts in Chrome,
  3. then shut down and restarted Chrome.
  4. Then opened afflicted Canvas course (https://canvas.wisc.edu/courses/39891/pages/feb-3-rubrics-in-canvas)
  5. Still saw no Google content and was asked to Authorize. Authorization fails.

Note

• works in Incognito mode in Chrome.
  • works in other Canvas courses in Chrome.
  • works in Firefox.

Final bit of troubleshooting:

• it seems to definitely be the Canvas tool's issue. 
  • a manual Google Doc iFrame embed works fine in Chrome, in that course.
112 Replies
Highlighted

Oh no! sanders@indiana.edu! Someone marked it as "Assumed Answered" again! Smiley Sad

245890_pastedImage_2.png

Highlighted

john.martin@wisc.edu, the entire purpose of the Find Answers space is for Community members to share their tips, tricks, and solutions about how Canvas currently functions. If users encounter a situation that falls in the category of a "bug fix," we'd like them to report the behavior in the form of support tickets; that is where updates will be issued, and anyone who submits a ticket will receive notifications of the progress of the fix. If users want to see new features or enhancements to existing features implemented in Canvas, we ask them to submit those to Canvas Studio as new ideas and "follow" those ideas to keep on top of comments and updates.

Your original question about the authorization issue has been answered, so we're marking this with the Answered flag. That doesn't close the conversation, nor does it remove it from view. Anyone searching for it will be able to find it, read the entire thread, and continue to contribute to it. The "Answered" flag simply means that it's not a question that our Community members who participate in the Find Answers space will be able to address--and that the question about how Canvas functions at the time the question was asked has been answered.

Highlighted

Thanks sanders@indiana.edu! This helps me understand the process better. So, to the best of my knowledge, there are several support tickets on this:

1. Case #01843701 seems to have died on March 7th.
  2. Case #01865357 seems to have died on March 7th too.
  3. Case #02000557 (April 22) never got past the first "We haven't heard from you on Case #02000557 for a few days. As a reminder, the subject line on this case is: [blank]. We hope this means that all's well now. If that's so, please disregard this message. If you still need a hand with the issue you reported, you can just reply to this message to update the case. We'll be happy to help. Thanks!" My email reply didn't get a response.

I guess I've given up on Canvas Support to do anything about it, so am hoping to keep the issue alive here until:

• it's fixed
  • it's partially fixed (at least an error message to help redirect the user?)
  • Canvas admits they don't care about Google Doc users (I don't believe this, but needed a 3rd option)

Where are the conversations about this bug now happening? And how do I stay informed?

thanks!

John

Highlighted

john.martin@wisc.edu‌, I'm not sure what you mean by cases having "died." If you've replied, the case should still be open. And when a fix is initiated, you'll receive an update via the email address associated with the Canvas account you used to initiate the case. Please be aware that the ticket thread is where you'll receive updates as they become available; since that's not the purpose of Community conversations, they're not updated in that fashion, unless a member chooses to post his/her response to a ticket.

Highlighted

Sorry sanders@indiana.edu, by "died" I mean the last I've seen/heard on those cases were in March 7, and were email replies by me that I haven't heard back from for over 3 months. Perhaps they're still active, but I've not seen any responses about them.

Highlighted

Hi, John,

I reviewed the tickets that you noted and they were marked as solved because you had received an answer from our support team and they had not received any additional correspondence. The replies acknowledged that the behavior wasn't perfect but is not something that we can directly address since it's limited by single sign-on authentication. You're correct in that this point there isn't much else Canvas support can do to resolve the situation; it needs to be handled by our product teams working with Google.

Our Canvas support team provided some workaround options that you could use to address the current situation in the meantime and we hope that those recommendations have been beneficial. 

The best way to stay updated at this point is to work with your institution's admin, who communicates regularly with your institution's Canvas customer success manager (CSM). Your admin keeps in contact with your Canvas CSM to note successes and concerns and can also convey feedback from your institution as a whole. Your admin can let you know if there have been any progress with the situation directly. I can tell you that right now, the engineering and product team that works with our LTI integrations is currently working to resolve existing bugs with the Google integration. I also see they have some research projects noted to improve Google authentication, but unfortunately I do not have a timeline as to when they will be starting that project or when more information will be available.

Hope that helps!

Erin

Highlighted

Thanks erinhallmark! I appreciate your efforts here, and suspect/understand that you may be tiring of flogging this dead horse. I apologize for the extra effort this may be causing, but I strongly believe it's important enough — at least for me and our campus — to continue to pursue until a decent fix (or at least error message) is in place.

I recognize that there isn't much else that Support can do to resolve the situation — it's a flawed implementation. My email archives show me that I was the last to respond in each case, so perhaps there is a system breakdown because from my end the cases just seemed to die.

I am also happy that Engineering and the Product Team are working on it. I tried all of the workaround options suggested that were practical and believe that I documented via videos and images that they did not work. The workarounds that I did not try (making sure our 60,000 students and faculty not use Chrome, or making sure that they don't log in to Chrome with their personal Google account) were not practical, and I believe I made that case beyond its self-evidence.

Again, a simple error message with directions would be a nice and helpful step on the journey to fixing it.

I've not yet brought up that it's also not working in Opera, but noticed this yesterday as I was showing my admin. Honestly, I'm tired of this too...

246033_pastedImage_1.png

Highlighted

Hi, John,

Another factor is the team is trying to solve them but is trying to prioritize against existing commitments. One of the definitive factors for bug fixes is the number of other users being affected and who have reported the behavior. So the more customers who report on it, the better. We do recognize the frustration of not having a project move as quickly as you would like. I assure you the product team is working to address these concerns as quickly as they can.

Thanks,

Erin

Highlighted

Yes erinhallmark, the more the merrier — and I try to get them to document their frustration (besides to me), and I tell them that the Instructure listens, but they are already well-trained to believe that it's never worth it to report issues. #bureaucracy #beaten-down. Or they believe that telling me is enough — as if I have some great power in getting this issue fixed.

Highlighted
Surveyor

john.martin@wisc.edu‌, I appreciate you providing this running account of your experiences with the Google LTI. I'll confess that troubleshooting similar issues in my school district is beginning to wear thin.

In regard to the current state of things (and leaving out what enhancements might be beneficial) and assuming that similar frustrations can be found in other districts & institutions in which the LTI has been enabled, it's a bit silly that we're all working in isolation to troubleshoot similar issues and develop support guidance for our users who encounter difficulty. It would be great if Instructure would synthesize all of the known-issues (as reported here and to Canvas Support) and pair each with troubleshooting suggestions/steps (all in one document made available here in the Community, perhaps organized in a similar manner to Canvas Release: Google Apps LTI).