cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Explorer II

Canvas Recorder Defaults to Flash

Jump to solution

Hi everyone. Must be my weird question day. I thought the Canvas video recorder defaults to HTML5 and rolls over to Flash, yet students are prompted to install Flash. It then never loads.

Is HTML5 not the default for the recorder?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Rob,

For playback I think it uses HTML5, but for the recorder it's always been Flash.  There are feature requests to change this and I think it's listed as in development.

Regarding what your students are seeing; in the past the Flash settings have usually needed to be changed on browsers to allow it to record through Canvas.  In Chrome, once you set it to allow flash for Canvas it would remember and work fine each time you tried to use it.  With the newest version of Chrome 69, this is not the case.  You can allow flash on a site but it only remains that way until the next time you restart Chrome.  To make matters worse, for some reason Chrome doesn't prompt you to allow flash when accessing the video recorder in Canvas.  In the past you could go into the Chrome settings and manually tell it to allow Flash on specific web sites, but they have taken that ability away now.  You can read more about it here Chrome 69 makes Flash use annoying - gHacks Tech News 

Here is the feature request listing it as in development https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4107-replace-flash-with-html-5 .  Hopefully with the new Chrome updates essentially making it impossible to use the video recorder any more the timeline might move a little quicker.

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Rob,

For playback I think it uses HTML5, but for the recorder it's always been Flash.  There are feature requests to change this and I think it's listed as in development.

Regarding what your students are seeing; in the past the Flash settings have usually needed to be changed on browsers to allow it to record through Canvas.  In Chrome, once you set it to allow flash for Canvas it would remember and work fine each time you tried to use it.  With the newest version of Chrome 69, this is not the case.  You can allow flash on a site but it only remains that way until the next time you restart Chrome.  To make matters worse, for some reason Chrome doesn't prompt you to allow flash when accessing the video recorder in Canvas.  In the past you could go into the Chrome settings and manually tell it to allow Flash on specific web sites, but they have taken that ability away now.  You can read more about it here Chrome 69 makes Flash use annoying - gHacks Tech News 

Here is the feature request listing it as in development https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/4107-replace-flash-with-html-5 .  Hopefully with the new Chrome updates essentially making it impossible to use the video recorder any more the timeline might move a little quicker.

Rick

View solution in original post

Thanks Rick. Very helpful

Surveyor

Our staff and students find the lack of a functional recorder to be a real pain.  Many classes like American Sign Language depended on the recorder to submit videos of the students signing and speech courses used it to record presentations.  I hope Canvas moves this to the front of the line. #recorder

Community Member

At our school, Chrome is the preferred browser for Canvas. However, in Chrome 69 and later, they have changed the default so that each time a student needs to use flash, they must adjust the settings. This is incredibly confusing for my middle school students and it's causing a major hassle for me and how I can collect student work using the Canvas audio/video recorder.  Canvas must find a way to create a recording system that doesn’t require flash. It’s outdated and does not provide the kind of smooth experience we expect from the Canvas LMS.

This is a significant issue that needs to be changed.  For me, having 172 singers, I need to collect recordings and listen to them as efficiently as possible in order to assess student progress. When the Canvas recorder works, I can go from student to student in SpeedyGrader quickly. When it doesn't work, and a student must upload a file they made in Quicktime, I have to wait for every recording to download or I have to have them upload recordings to Drive and go in using Hapara.  Even worse is students then feel the need to email the file, and you can imagine what that does to my mailbox and organization of student work. When you are listening to as many recordings as this, you can imagine how significant the the time delay is.

Please move this issue to the top of your priority list.  

dlejeune@blakeschool.org, HTML support for media recording was rolled out in the December 8, 2018 release. If your students are experiencing behavior that is inconsistent with the description in the release, please ask them to initiate support cases (@How do I get help with Canvas as a student?