cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mkollman
Explorer

Canvas Student App Gives Access to Quiz via Grades

I am trying to figure out why students can access a quiz via Grades using the Canvas Student app on their phones.  It only allows them to view or take a quiz if it is identified as "Imported Assignment" under the "Assignment Group" of the quiz.  Once the designation is changed to "Test", students are no longer able to access the quiz via Grades, as a padlock icon appears  when viewing it on the student app.

I have also found that even though the quiz is not published under the module, it is available via the Canvas Student app and the changing of Assignment Group doesn't affect access.

The quiz is published under Quizzes, which the navigation has been made hidden and the quiz added to a module, but the quiz is unpublished.  The module is published.  Students using a browser do not have access to the quiz in any manner, as it appears to only be a Canvas Student app issue.  Thanks!

6 Replies
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mkollman ‌, 

I'm looking into this to see how I can help. 

First of all, is this Android or iOS Student App? 

Once the designation is changed to "Test", students are no longer able to access the quiz via Grades, as a padlock icon appears  when viewing it on the student app.

I'm a little confused here, what is being changed to "Test" in Canvas? The assignment group? From my understanding the terminology "Test" isn't used inside of Canvas, so this might be something specific to this course. 

I have also found that even though the quiz is not published under the module, it is available via the Canvas Student app and the changing of Assignment Group doesn't affect access.

Hmm, in my testing, I cannot access any quiz as a student if it's not published. I can't access it in the module, quiz, or grades section. 

The quiz is published under Quizzes, which the navigation has been made hidden and the quiz added to a module, but the quiz is unpublished. 

I'm not sure this is possible in Canvas. If you publish an item from the module it's published at the assignment/content pages/etc level as well. You shouldn't be able to publish anything inside their section (example, quizzes) and not have it published inside a module as well. The only way to do this is simply not add the quiz to the module. If you are able to publish a quiz and not have it published in a module, there might be a bug. 

If you can, please send over a screen shot of what is published inside quizzes and modules in your course. I have a feeling there is an answer for this, but might need a little more information.  Thanks! 

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mkollman ‌, 

I'm following up with my previous post to see if I can help you further. Please let me know if you were able to solve this issue. Thanks. 

thompsli
Learner II

I've run into what may be the same issue in other ways just within the browser.

If the quiz is showing as published when you look at the quizzes page, and does not appear in any module, that quiz is "live" and students can see and take it if they find it in Canvas somewhere. (If it has a due date, it will show up on their calendars and to-do lists. If it's for a grade, it will show up on their Grades page even if it has no due date. There may be other ways I am not aware of.)

If you add it to a module that is locked to students (by date or module prerequisites), then they will no longer be able to access even though it is published it because that module-locked-logic is now added to the quiz as well.

Best practice for things that aren't ready for students yet is to make sure they are not published when you look at them on the quizzes or assignments page. Unfortunately, there's no way to unpublish a quiz once a student has taken it, which is really annoying in this case of accidental quiz exposure. I guess the best thing to do at that point is either to delete the quiz or to put it into a locked module to shut off other students from taking it. 

If you have a different set of things published and unpublished than what I am talking about in this comment, I apologize. I found your description a little hard to follow and made some guesses. It might help to include screenshots of where the quiz is and isn't showing as published for you.

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mkollman ‌, 

I'm following up with my previous post to see if I can help you further. Please let me know if you were able to solve this issue. If not, I'll assume the best and assume this is answered. Thanks!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@mkollman ,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

Honestly, it was a 1 time instance and haven't seen it since, so we have moved on.  Thank you!