cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Canvas Studio not showing auto caption request for YouTube Videos?

Hi: Was testing out to see what CS does with a captioned YouTube; it doesn't show the existing captions nor does it give me the option to auto caption? Looks like this: https://www.screencast.com/t/emj4qd1fV

and the YouTube Link was https://youtu.be/h-E8gqBq1OI

It's already captioned in YouTube, but I wanted it captioned in CStudio so I could put questions in it for students.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, @amg ...

You are correct that Canvas Studio does not allow you to auto-generate closed captioning text for YouTube videos you add to your Studio library.  It's my understanding that auto-captioning is not possible because of some legal/"Terms of Service" reasons ... much of which I am unfamiliar with.  I've heard that if you absolutely need captions, you can try to contact the owner of that video to see if they have the caption file (SRT or VTT file) that they would be willing to send you, or you may need to create captions on your own.  Another option is to just send your students out to YouTube to watch the video and turn on the captions there.

When you watch YouTube videos...you can usually tell if the captions have been auto-generated or if the captions have been thoroughly reviewed by the owner.  If the captions are being generated almost word by word "on the fly" as you watch the video, then they are auto-generated.  If the captions appear in blocks of text where it's not generating text word by word, then those captions have been added by the owner.

I hope this information will be of help to you.  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi @chofer  I thought that YouTube videos brought into Canvas Studio retained their captions if they already had them. Is this not true?

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hello @ajcampbell ...

Unfortunately, that is not true.  Due to reasons I've outlined above, captions from YouTube do not carry over into Canvas Studio.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Thanks for the reply very helpful! 

Labels