cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
williamsj3
Community Member

Canvas and CentOS

Jump to solution

Has anyone had any experience with installing Canvas Opensource on CentOS 7?  I know that the instructions are written for Ubuntu but I am hoping that there is a package or steps for those using CentOS. 

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

I am doing a bit of OJT self-teaching so probably someone with experience could get the two working together with no issue. I also thought running the Bitnami self-contained package for Canvas LMS would be easier for me especially when it comes to upgrading versions of Canvas.  Right now I run Moodle I cut my teeth on it and its easy for me to install and manage LAMP based programs but Canvas is just a better platform.  It certainly would make my teaching life a lot easier. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@williamsj3 ‌, I don't have an answer for you, but I wanted to let you know that I've moved your question out of the Meta Community Group‌ (which is meant for discussion of all-things-Community) and have moved it over to Find Answers‌, where our users post their general questions about the Canvas platform. And, because of the question's technical nature, I've also shared it with your fellow experts in the Canvas Developers‌ group. You won't need to join that group to see their answers appear here; however, if you'd like to join the group so you can post directly to it and comment on resources, you can easily do so by clicking on the link to the group and selecting Join Group from the Actions dropdown that you'll see at the upper right of the group home page.

stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Michael,

I will admit I have only recently started playing around with Canvas Open source. I have begun the install in my off hours to learn how it works and installs.

From what I know and understand, it should definitely run on CentOS 7 without worries given the technologies it runs under. However, after looking around, I haven't been able to find a guide that anyone has done it before. That is not to say it hasn't been done before!

Are there particular areas you are having problems with, or have you started to step through, I am happy to help out if you run into any hiccups along the way and try to translate where possible between the Ubuntu Guide and what it would take on CentOS if you have started playing around and have some questions?

If you have good knowledge of how CentOS and the CentOS package manager works, you should be able to translate the Ubuntu guide (roughly) step by step with a little exploration along the way.

Look forward to your thoughts.

Stuart

Hi so what I discovered is yes it works on CentOS but does not run in an environment that has cPanel. 

Ahh very interesting, were you getting any specific errors that came up. I have used cPanel a lot (and run it on my own server for my personal email). It can be a little quirky at times, however I would have thought that it would have been possible.

Also, did you by any chance note down the differences you needed to take into account, I would be keen to give it a whirl spinning it up on CentOS too.

Cheers,

Stuart

I am doing a bit of OJT self-teaching so probably someone with experience could get the two working together with no issue. I also thought running the Bitnami self-contained package for Canvas LMS would be easier for me especially when it comes to upgrading versions of Canvas.  Right now I run Moodle I cut my teeth on it and its easy for me to install and manage LAMP based programs but Canvas is just a better platform.  It certainly would make my teaching life a lot easier. 

View solution in original post

Ahh interesting, I might have to have a look at that over the Christmas break for some fun. I do have a CentOS server running cPanel, so could be a fun experiment.

I can imagine that getting Canvas up and running would make things a lot easier. Let us know how you get on and the community is always here to help out!

Cheers,

Stuart

Pleaseeee, Oh Pleaseeeeeee tell me you have steps on how you got it to work in an environment that runs cPanel.  :smileycry::smileycry::smileycry:

Hi Michael,

Not as of yet, if and when I do, I will make sure to document them and put them up here for you Smiley Happy. Quick question, I assume you have root access to the cPanel box, rather than just a cPanel hosting account? I just realised I made the assumption that you would still need root access, but could probably get it working alongside cPanel. I used to run the Atlassian suite of software which required some 'fun' proxying to get around a few things. Will let you know if and when I get playing with it.

Cheers,
Stuart

Thats correct, I do have root access to cPanel.  I also have a Plesk environment.  I am self-teaching and quickly learned that setting up Canvas is not lightweight like setting up Moodle.