cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Canvas and fitness apps

Hello,

I am searching to see if anyone in higher education is using Canvas to instruct physical education activity classes online (or in person) that allows an instructor to distribute class activities or workouts (complete with video instructions) via canvas and incorporates wearable fitness tracker?
I realize that Canvas is a learning management tool vs a fitness app, but am wondering if there is a way to merge the two.
Thanks,
Ellen O'Connor
10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi etoconnor@pipeline.sbcc.edu,

Not that I know of.  This question comes up periodically and I haven't yet seen that anyone has built a fitness app integration (hopefully someone will prove me wrong).  Here is a post about teaching PE, using Canvas more generally that I hope will be helpful.

By the way; if you have a question to ask that you want to post in more than one place in the community, you can create it in one location and then share it into the other(s) by clicking the Share link in the upper right. If you do this rather than creating multiple posts, you'll have one thread of comments, etc showing in both places.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply. Your reply mentioned a post about teaching PE using

canvas, but I could not find a link. Can you resend?

Thanks,

Ellen

Ellen O’Connor

Professor of Physical Education

Life Fitness Center Director

721 Cliff Drive,

Santa Barbara, CA 93109

(805) 730-4070 • oconnore@sbcc.edu

On Tue, May 15, 2018 at 2:13 PM, Scott Dennis <instructure@jiveon.com>

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi Ellen,

I see that I neglected to link to the discussion.  Oops!  Sorry about that!  I just went in and edited my original reply to now include the link.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Thanks Scott. I found the link to that conversation helpful. You posted

there was an additional link to a personalized fitness course in the

example courses: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-3470#K12

I apologize, I'm new to the canvas community pages and was not able to find

the specific course or a link to examples. I did really enjoy the video

"why share" from a communications instructor. Can you direct any further

to the example class?

Ellen

Ellen O’Connor

721 Cliff Drive,

Santa Barbara, CA 93109

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:35 AM, scottd@instructure.com <

Highlighted

Hi Again etoconnor@pipeline.sbcc.edu,

No apologies necessary.   We're happy to have you here!

Canvas Commons is separate from the Canvas Community.  Commons is a shared repository of Canvas course content that institutions can choose to opt into sharing or not.  If you don't see the Commons logo on the global navigation menu when you are logged into Canvas, your institution likely doesn't have Commons enabled.  If you'd like to explore alternate methods for accessing Commons, please inbox message any of us who have been active in this thread.

Kind Regards,

SD

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi etoconnor@pipeline.sbcc.edu

There was a great presentation on just this at InstructureCon 2013.  Here is a link to a video recording of that presentation: Online PE Class? How Does That Work? | InstructureCon 2013 - YouTube 

I attended this one just out of curiosity (I can't even spell "physical education", let alone teach it), and was surprised by some of the nifty tricks I learned.

I hope this helps,

Kelley

Highlighted

Thanks! I saw that posted on youtube which promoted my question. Thank

you for the info!

Ellen O’Connor

721 Cliff Drive,

Santa Barbara, CA 93109

On Wed, May 16, 2018 at 10:13 AM, kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu <

Highlighted

etoconnor@pipeline.sbcc.edu

Rats, I was hoping that would be new content for you!

So how about an actual Canvas PE Course you could check out........................ Hershey Middle School, Canvas Physical Education Information Page.

When you get there, click the link below Beth Shay's name, it appears to be a public course.

Also, when I just now did a Google search, I found lots of schools using Canvas for PE courses. Have you considered contacting a few of these and getting some feedback?

Kelley

Highlighted
Community Member

I have been instructing/course developing personal fitness and wellness, online in Canvas at the high school level.  Any suggestions on finding a coder to program a fitness/nutrition app to use only by the PE students?  

Labels