cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mzavolokina
Community Member

Canvas help?!

My canvas does not show anything, when I press to get to calendar, courses, inbox the whole screen is blank except options in the left corner, like 'course files' 'assignments' but when I press them it reloads the page and then a blank page. I have attached a picture of what my dashboard looks like

Tags (2)
4 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mzavolokina  and Welcome to the Canvas Community,

Let's see if we can figure this out for you. I have a few questions to kick it off:

1. What web browser and operating system are you using?
  2. Do you have any ad blockers installed in your web browser?
  3. Have you tried a different web browser, and if so, are you seeing the same issue?

Once I know your answers, I will be able to guide you on some next steps to gather some more information.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Stuart

1. I have a samsung chromebook, I use chrome browser

2. I have an app called 'AdBlock' installed

3. No, but I have tried a different laptop and my canvas page is working there

Hi  @mzavolokina ,

Thank you for that additional info!

While it is highly unlikely that AdBlock is causing the issue, it never hurts to negate it as the cause. If you have a look at Tell AdBlock not to run on certain pages and sites : AdBlock Help  and follow the steps under 'Always show ads on some sites (or certain pages on a site)' to add your institution's Canvas instance to the whitelist.

It is good that you have checked it out on a different laptop, so that tells us your account is 100% OK on your institution's Canvas, which means we just need to narrow down the local cause.

A couple of next steps I would recommend:

1. Clear your temporary internet files in Chrome and see if that helps the issue, sometimes these can get a little messed up and it is a great first step.

2. Check how much free space you have on your Chromebook, I have seen a couple of cases where extremely low space caused issues with there not being enough space to store temporary internet files.

3. It would be great if you could install another browser (such as Firefox) as that helps narrow down the cause further. If it works in one browser but not another, then we can narrow things down to Chrome itself more easily.

4. Also, do you have any experience with the Chrome Developer Console? After you load Canvas in Chrome, you can go to View --> Developer Tools. You can check the console and there may be some indicators there of errors you are receiving which can help diagnose the issue. If you are comfortable doing this I can walk you through it further?

Look forward to hearing from you!

Cheers,
Stuart

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @mzavolokina 

It's been a few months since you last updated this thread. I hope the feedback that  @stuart_ryan provided was helpful! For now, I'm going to mark this question as "Assumed Answered" but it will not prevent you or any other Canvas Community member from commenting or continuing the conversation.