Canvas is NOT automatically assigning student peer reviews on time

Jump to solution
mark_kerfoot
Community Participant

Hi,

I set Canvas to automatically assign peer reviews at an assignment deadline, but Canvas has so far failed to assign the reviews. Students are flooding my inbox asking why.

The assignment due date is set for 8/25 at 11:59 PM and I've set Canvas to automatically assign three peer reviews per student. It is currently 8/26 at 9 AM and Canvas shows that no peer reviews have been assigned.

This is a major problem, since students have a deadline of 8/27 at 11:59 PM to complete their peer reviews before the assignment closes.

Please help!

Mark Kerfoot

Labels (1)
1 Solution
mark_kerfoot
Community Participant
Author

UPDATE: 8/26 at 12 PM

I finally got through to Canvas support. I was told that my assignments were configured correctly, but for an unknown reason Canvas failed to automatically assign the peer reviews.

There is an imperfect work around.

1. Go to the discussion or assignment in question.
  2. Click the 3 dots (bread crumbs) and select "Peer Reviews"
  3. There is a field to set the number of peer reviews. Do this, then click the button "Assign Peer Reviews" (see screenshot below).

This did assign the peer reviews, but had additional errors. Some students were assigned 6 peer reviews, though I selected "3." Also, students who had turned in the initial submission late were also assigned peer reviews.

I hope this helps those of you struggling with this issue. And I REALLY hope Canvas figures out what went wrong and fixes it so it doesn't happen in the future.

mark_kerfoot_0-1598468888390.png

View solution in original post