cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Canvas jQuery Version

Jump to solution

So I've been exploring different types of interactions in Canvas and realized that it has bundled jQuery in with it's other JS. Exploring that JS, it looks like Canvas is using version 1.7.x instead of the latest versions. Is there any plan to update this in the near future?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Kristin - In speaking with engineering, while we have written plugins, a jQuery upgrade is quite complex.  There are no immediate or announced plans to update at this time.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

kristin.anthony@austin.utexas.edu, I'm not sure about the answer to your question, but I've shared it with some people who should be able help.

Highlighted

Thanks, Kona. I'm interested because I am trying out some jQuery plugins but many of them aren't working on this older version. There have been quite a few changes since 1.7 and a lot of stuff was deprecated with 1.9

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Kristin - In speaking with engineering, while we have written plugins, a jQuery upgrade is quite complex.  There are no immediate or announced plans to update at this time.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thanks, Hyrum. That's a bummer.

Highlighted
Navigator

kristin.anthony@austin.utexas.edu​,

If you can't find a version of an essential plugin that runs on jQuery 1.7.2, you might be able to load your own version of jQuery. You would probably need to use the jQuery.noConflict() method. It is also a little more challenging to get a cached external script loaded through your global JavaScript file than just adding JavaScript code. The global JavaScript file is inserted into the page, which is often not cached or changes, so I wouldn't include it for performance reasons unless you could externalize and cache it.

However, if you can find the functionality you need in a different plugin and just want to make sure you're not going to have to upgrade anytime soon, then hyrum@instructure.com​'s answer is the best you could hope for.

Top Kudoed Authors
Labels