Canvas with Outlook

Jump to solution
ruchtic
Community Novice

At BYU-Idaho, we use Canvas as our LMS and it is linked to my BYU-Idaho Outlook email account.  This is my second semester of using these programs together.  In the past, I could respond in Outlook to a message that a student sent me through Canvas.  Usually when I checked my email account (Outlook account) and found a message that was sent through Canvas, I could just hit reply to send a student a response to an email, type a message, and then hit send.  However, today it is not working.  Outlook acts like it doesn't recognize the email as a valid email address and it won't send.  For example, it says that the email is supposed to be sent to "John Smith via Canvas Notifications", but nothing else is included.  In the past there was usually some kind of code that followed "John Smith via Canvas Notifications".  When I hit send after typing the email, the program does nothing.  In addition, it says the person is outside of my organization, but it is a student in my course who sent me a message in Canvas which was automatically forward to my Outlook email account.  In other words it appears that Canvas and Outlook are not communicating.  I have not experienced this problem until today and I cannot figure out how to fix it. The only way I can respond to my students who send messages through Canvas is to either go back into Canvas and send it or to find the student's official BYU-Idaho email address and send it to that address through Outlook.  I cannot use the Canvas features in Outlook as I have been able to do before today.  I cannot send any emails in Outlook in response to Canvas notifications as I have been able to do in the past.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

1 Solution
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team

Hello everyone!

We reached out to Microsoft based on your reports and heard back from them that they were able to resolve the issues. We’re happy to hear it seems like it is working again for you. As always, let us know if and when something doesn’t seem to be working correctly. Thanks for being a part of the Community!

Naomi

View solution in original post