cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ruchtic
Community Member

Canvas with Outlook

Jump to solution

At BYU-Idaho, we use Canvas as our LMS and it is linked to my BYU-Idaho Outlook email account.  This is my second semester of using these programs together.  In the past, I could respond in Outlook to a message that a student sent me through Canvas.  Usually when I checked my email account (Outlook account) and found a message that was sent through Canvas, I could just hit reply to send a student a response to an email, type a message, and then hit send.  However, today it is not working.  Outlook acts like it doesn't recognize the email as a valid email address and it won't send.  For example, it says that the email is supposed to be sent to "John Smith via Canvas Notifications", but nothing else is included.  In the past there was usually some kind of code that followed "John Smith via Canvas Notifications".  When I hit send after typing the email, the program does nothing.  In addition, it says the person is outside of my organization, but it is a student in my course who sent me a message in Canvas which was automatically forward to my Outlook email account.  In other words it appears that Canvas and Outlook are not communicating.  I have not experienced this problem until today and I cannot figure out how to fix it. The only way I can respond to my students who send messages through Canvas is to either go back into Canvas and send it or to find the student's official BYU-Idaho email address and send it to that address through Outlook.  I cannot use the Canvas features in Outlook as I have been able to do before today.  I cannot send any emails in Outlook in response to Canvas notifications as I have been able to do in the past.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Naomi
Community Team
Community Team

Hello everyone!

We reached out to Microsoft based on your reports and heard back from them that they were able to resolve the issues. We’re happy to hear it seems like it is working again for you. As always, let us know if and when something doesn’t seem to be working correctly. Thanks for being a part of the Community!

Naomi

View solution in original post

18 Replies
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi  @ruchtic ,

That is definitely a conundrum! I have had a look and there doesn't appear to be anything (that I can see) in the recent release notes for Canvas that might have affected or changed this, so let's see if we can dig a little deeper.

When you press reply to an email, does the TO address go yellow with a question mark around it? (That is the first thing that usually indicates to me there is an issue)? I know you mentioned Outlook appears to do nothing, so I am going to assume that it doesn't actually send or move out of the inbox. I had this similar issue with Outlook the other day after it was upgraded (not related to Canvas I might add) and restarting my computer seemed to get it back on track, you could try that but your mileage may vary.

Another little testing technique I use is to press reply (to the original email you received), right click on the TO address, click copy, and paste it into a word document and it expands it out further. Is it possible for you to let us know what the expanded version is when you do this please? (Obviously, obscuring the name with John.Smith like you did is great practice if you post the expanded version here too). That will let us see if something has gone astray in the reply to email that might be causing this.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Stuart

Thank you for looking into this for me. When I press reply, the to address does not go yellow with a question mark around it. The TO address simply says, "John Smith via Canvas Notifications". If I click on the address, it turns red. I actually tried to restart my computer today to see if it would fix the issue, but unfortunately it did not. I was able to right click on the address and copied it just as you suggested. The expanded version of the email address is John Smith via Canvas Notifications

<reply+rand-rand~rand-rand@notifications.canvaslms.com>. Hopefully this helps to determine what is happening. Thanks again for your help.

Hi  @ruchtic ,

Thanks for that, I took a look at the email address and then redacted some of the specifics. The email address looks good, I also copied that and then pasted it into Outlook and it recognised it as a proper address with no issues.

In the mean time, I also tested this on my Canvas instance (and with Outlook 2016 on a Mac) and it seemed to work without issue, I also use Office 365 for my email account that I used to test.

I am wondering if there might be a configuration issue on your machine (or possibly something your institution has changed on their email configuration) that might be causing this issue. To that end, I would recommend reaching out to your School's technical support services via Information Technology (I managed to locate the details for you). They can have a look at your local machine to see if anything has gone astray or what might be causing this.

Apologies I can't be of more assistance.

Stuart

pmcclanahan
Community Member

I too have run into this issue - am running Outlook 365 - I can type a response, but the Send button does nothing. I was working on Saturday, from my home computer (Ubuntu Linux 16.04). When all of a sudden I could NOT reply to Canvas emails anymore.

I have tried various browsers - but no go. I AM able to reply via the Outlook app on iPhone, so that is a positive.

I too have tried various solutions, copy and paste the email address - but the Send button just does NOT respond.

Patrick McClanahan
Professor of Computer Science
Science and Math 252
San Joaquin Delta College
Stockton, CA
stuart_ryan
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi Cynthia,

I wanted to link you through to a new thread that might have a little more detail, seems like you are not alone and this may be a Microsoft issue --> Outlook 365 Web Mail Broken?.

Were you using the web version or desktop version?
Cheers,
Stuart

rgibson1
Explorer III

@ruchtic ‌ We're seeing exactly the same problem as of today. Something has broken in MS Outlook 365 webmail and the ability to respond to students. The desktop client continues to function, but it really screws us up because we have remote academic coaches.

pmcclanahan
Community Member

So, this is definitely a Outlook 365 issue - desktop Outlook and Outlook phone app work fine....I just don't have desktop Outlook off campus.

Pat

I tried to open a ticket with Instructure, but they turned around and closed it within minutes. They have no apparent interest in helping resolve this. I can't believe more campuses are not being impacted. This is sort of a big deal...

Hi Rob,

While I have not experienced this myself, it certainly sounds from what people are reporting here that the issue lays with Microsoft, not with Canvas. If that is the case support may have their hands tied (as Microsoft would need to fix this). What was their response that they provided?

Cheers,
Stuart