cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Canvas won't let student log in

Jump to solution

I have a student who can't log in to her account. After she enters her password, a screen pops up that says "Invalid Authenticity Token." What should she do?

Tags (2)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Community Member

wallbrink@comcast.net,

You can take a look at the guide for login troubleshooting provided by Canvas. Depending on your instance of Canvas, you may just need to contact site admin or the Canvas support for your institution.

Hope that is helpful.

View solution in original post

Community Member

Hi - just had this problem also and I figured it out that it is because your browser is blocking it - go to your settings and in the cookies at the website in the ALLOW section. It will then work.

16 Replies
Community Member

wallbrink@comcast.net,

You can take a look at the guide for login troubleshooting provided by Canvas. Depending on your instance of Canvas, you may just need to contact site admin or the Canvas support for your institution.

Hope that is helpful.

Community Member

I had the same problem with students using the Safari app on their phones. (Which is strange because I can log in with the Safari app on my phone.) When I had him attempt to log in using the Chrome browser instead his login worked. His log in also worked using the Canvas app. It appeared to be browser related. FYI: I do have a faint memory of someone who works for Instructure telling me Canvas prefers Mozilla Firefox (which is not available on the iphone). 

Thanks for the info! Therese

Community Coach
Community Coach

wallbrink@comcast.net​, were you able to resolve the problem with the student or is the student still unable to login? If the student is still having problems could you provide more information about how the student is trying to login (mobile or computer) and what browser?

Thanks!

Thanks for getting back to me about this. The problem has been resolved.

Therese Wall

Community Member

I have just had the same happen to one of my students.

She has been in the course for the last 8 weeks with no problems logging in, until today.

I have confirmed that she is using Firefox (latest version) but this does not seem to fix the issue.

I have reset her password in Canvas.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Community Coach
Community Coach

ilana@coem.edu.au​, have you tried logging in as the student (using their username/password - since you reset the password) to see if it works for you? Also, has the student tried a different browser and/or computer to see if they are getting the same error?

Community Member

Thanks for the reply Kona.

Yes – it seemed fine when I logged in as the student.

I have just had confirmation that the student logged in this morning and all is fine again.

I think it was a combination of perhaps me resetting the password and the cookies being cleared.

Thanks again!

Community Member

Hi - just had this problem also and I figured it out that it is because your browser is blocking it - go to your settings and in the cookies at the website in the ALLOW section. It will then work.