cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rcruz1
Community Member

Cap Assignment Group Total at 100%

Is there a way to cap the totals for an assignment group to 100%? For example, if there are extra credit assignments and a student ends up with 110% of the possible points for the assignment group, it makes the assignment group worth a larger percentage of the final grade than I intended.

14 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

If you know the total percent for your course that you want extra credit to be worth then I'd recommend creating a new assignment group for "Extra Credit" and make it worth that percent. So for example 2% - this would make your total course technically worth 102%, but would keep students from getting more than the 2% worth of extra credit regardless of the number of points the extra credit is worth. For more information and best practices on how to do this I recommend reviewing the following documentation - https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-5612-extra-credit-using-weighted-assignment-groups?sr=searc...

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi rcruz It's been about six weeks since we last heard from you. Did the response from  @kona  resolve your issue/concern? For now, I will mark this question as "Assumed Answered"; that will not prevent you or others from responding. If there is a workable solution posted here, please mark that answer as "Correct"--and if you arrived at a different solution, please take a moment to update the thread. Thanks!

This solution does not work for me as I want to give bonus points in different assignment sections from time to time (homework, in-class group work, quizzes) and the bonus points should simply add to the regular points in that section. But I want to cap scores over 100% (in each section). 

Is there a way to simply say: take the smaller of a certain assignment grade and 100%? 

Thanks for your help, Peter

@porth ,

Simple depends on your definition. There is simple in concept and there is simple in execution. Unfortunately, there is a simple concept, but no simple way to automatically accomplish it.

You can create a fake assignment in each assignment group where this happens, make it worth 0 points, and then put in negative point values that cancel out anything over 100% for that assignment group. You would only need to do this for students who exceed the 100%, you can ignore it for everyone else.

If you add the extra credit as you go, but wait until the end of the grading period to adjust the bonus, then the students will have an inflated sense of what they actually have in the course.

meganraby
Community Member

Why is there no simple way to accomplish having assignment groups capped at 100% within each group? Right now, although I have Participation weighted at 20% and Homework weighted at 25%, extra credit assignments are causing canvas not to honor those weightings. I'm frustrated by how inflexible Canvas is, and how opaque its grading system is. 

meganraby
Community Member

And why does this discussion board say "no one else has this question"? I do, but there's no way for me to show that.

When a Question in Q & A‌ is marked as "assumed answered", it takes away the ability for Community members to click the "I also have this question". Unfortunately, when I closed out this questions in March of 2017, it was because of inactivity on the question. With updates to Canvas coming so quickly, the context of the question (and answers, for that matter) change too! Smiley Happy

It also sounds like this could be a great opportunity to submit a Feature Idea in Canvas Studio‌. (How do I create a new feature idea in the Canvas Community?‌)

It is definitely something that Canvas should fix/improve on. But few of us have time to submit feature ideas. I find the whole software improvement by popularity contest to be frustrating. 

@meganraby 

I agree that if we were running feature development by a popularity contest that would be super frustrating.  Votes are only one piece of data we use to help share ideas with product!  The most valuable data we have to share with them is the use cases that support why and how a feature would be used.  These guides are short, and I assure you they are worth the read.

And you may also be interested in Adaptation: Feature Idea Process Changes