Highlighted
Community Member

Change Password : SIS Import User

Jump to solution

Is there a functionality in Canvas wherein a sis-import user logs in (using the password his teacher supplied) and gets a page to change his password?

If not, any ideas on how to implement it?

Thanks

Amul

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Lamplighter

amul.garg@knolskape.com

I'm not aware of any way to force a password change within Canvas. Nothing in the API documentation mentions force and most things related to passwords have been deprecated in favor of more generic authentication providers. Communicating with the users that you desire they change their passwords is probably the best way at the current time.

There have been a couple of feature requests asking for the same functionality, including   which is open for voting until the start of May 2016. You may want to pop over to that feature request and express your support for such an idea. It also appeared in   that was archived in December 2015 with only 14 votes after 3 months of voting.

There is a lot of debate in the area of password generation, between two secure that it has to be written down to remember vs too simple that's easy to guess. Neither one is very secure -- if you can open a folder and see the student's password written down, that might be worse than having it in an email that they have to know their password to get to. Another option is to pick three random dictionary words like "horse train trouble" and making that the password.

I would suggest picking passwords that fit your desired policy and not worrying about whether or not users change them since there isn't a good way (if any) to force a change and there's a good chance that what a user comes up with won't be as secure as what you put in (unless you're doing really insecure stuff like using their name for their password).

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Lamplighter

amul.garg@knolskape.com​, because of the specificity of your question, I've shared it with the Canvas Admins​ group. If you're not already a member of that group, it only takes a few clicks to join.

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks! I'm new to this community. Is there another thread in Canvas Admins group that I need to follow?

Highlighted
Lamplighter

Welcome to the Community, amul.garg@knolskape.com! Good news: you don't need to follow another thread; any responses, whether they come from the general Community population or from members of the Canvas Admins group, will appear here.

For future reference, here's how it works: Rather than having to create two copies of a question resulting in differing comment threads, you can create your post in the Find Answers space and then use the Share link in the upper right to share it into additional spaces. If you are already a member of the Canvas Admins group, for example, you can start a question here, and then share it into the admin group, or to any other group to which you belong, or to multiple groups if you think the question is relevant to multiple groups. The beauty of "sharing" a discussion or question to another space is that the commentary remains unified in a single thread while its visibility is targeted and, we hope, enhanced.

In this case, I've already shared the question for you, but in the future, feel free to avail yourself of that nifty Share button. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Lamplighter

amul.garg@knolskape.com​, I should add that if a question is highly specialized, such that only a member of the Canvas Admins​ or Canvas Developers​ group could reasonably be expected to know the answer, you can if you'd prefer post your question directly to that group space.

Highlighted
Community Member

Okay! This is a lot of helpful info. Thanks again!

Highlighted
Surveyor

I wasn't sure if stefaniesanders​ shared it with the Canvas Developers​ group or not, but I went ahead and shared it! They are the back-end programmers and might also have some insight into this question.

Highlighted
Lamplighter

amul.garg@knolskape.com

I'm not aware of any way to force a password change within Canvas. Nothing in the API documentation mentions force and most things related to passwords have been deprecated in favor of more generic authentication providers. Communicating with the users that you desire they change their passwords is probably the best way at the current time.

There have been a couple of feature requests asking for the same functionality, including   which is open for voting until the start of May 2016. You may want to pop over to that feature request and express your support for such an idea. It also appeared in   that was archived in December 2015 with only 14 votes after 3 months of voting.

There is a lot of debate in the area of password generation, between two secure that it has to be written down to remember vs too simple that's easy to guess. Neither one is very secure -- if you can open a folder and see the student's password written down, that might be worse than having it in an email that they have to know their password to get to. Another option is to pick three random dictionary words like "horse train trouble" and making that the password.

I would suggest picking passwords that fit your desired policy and not worrying about whether or not users change them since there isn't a good way (if any) to force a change and there's a good chance that what a user comes up with won't be as secure as what you put in (unless you're doing really insecure stuff like using their name for their password).

View solution in original post