cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cparent
Surveyor

Change the order of the courses/cards

Jump to solution

Another question we've been getting all this week (we switched UIs on Tuesday) :

"Is there a way to change the order of the course cards to suit my needs?"

-- seems like it'd be a good thing to get up and running, since the UI seems to look like the cards/apps on an iPad/iPhone, or even Windows 8...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

@celestevp , you can't currently change the order of the course cards, but you can decide which ones display on the Dashboard by clicking on All Courses and then "un-starring" the ones you don't want as course cards. You can also nickname your courses.

For additional guidance, please refer to How do I customize my Course list? and How do I create a nickname for my course? (New Canvas UI) . You might also want to follow to receive alerts of its progress through the development cycle.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
clong
Learner II

I don't think this is possible now... but I totally agree that it should be (drag & drop)

celestevp
Community Member

So the order of course cards cannot be changed at all? The first 3 for me are classes I took last year, followed by classes I just finished and my new classes show up at the bottom.

@celestevp , you can't currently change the order of the course cards, but you can decide which ones display on the Dashboard by clicking on All Courses and then "un-starring" the ones you don't want as course cards. You can also nickname your courses.

For additional guidance, please refer to How do I customize my Course list? and How do I create a nickname for my course? (New Canvas UI) . You might also want to follow to receive alerts of its progress through the development cycle.

View solution in original post

None of the courses I have completed are starred but they are all still

showing up on the dashboard.

On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 12:57 PM, Stefanie Sanders <instructure@jiveon.com>

@celestevp , try starring just one of the courses, logging out and logging back in. If that works (it should), you can then decide which other course(s) you might like to "favorite." If that doesn't work, submit a help ticket directly from your Dashboard by clicking on the Help button at the lower left of your Canvas screen and selecting the Report a Problem option.

The courses are listed alphabetically. Is there a way to change the names, thereby changing the order? Changing the name in Settings > Sections has no effect on the course card name.

Hi Carl,

The decision about who will have the necessary permission to change course names is different from one institution to another.  I'd suggest you ask the technology support folks at your institution what the local policy is.

Hope that helps.

tgodkin
Community Member

James Jones posted a great script that allows users to make this change.  He has posted it here.